Scarebird Disk Brake Conversion Kits: Anybody done one?

-

64Dart270

Space Cadet
Reaction score
I've been examining different options on drum to disk conversions. I did a Scarebird conversion on an old Buick I had, primarily because there was nothing else out there. It worked out well but, all I really got were brackets, a parts list and instructions. From a cost perspective, after all of the parts were sourced, it ran about $600. For my dart, I think Stainless Steel Brakes runs about $700. This does not include junction blocks, or lines.I did one of these kits on a Friends' Impala. and it worked out well. I guess I'm just looking to see what opinions are out there.

Ebay Scarebird Kit;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2297wt_1165

I did one of the first A body conversions they made. This was about 4-5 years ago. I ended up spending about $250-300 for everything. I haven't had a single problem with it and it stops straight and true. I know they have made some changes and improvements since then and can only think it is even better now.:happy7:

I installed Scarebird's conversion kit on my 65 Valiant. The conversion went smooth and have had no problems with it so far. Other conversion kit ran in the neighborhood of around 1000.00. I ended up about 600.00 that included a dual master cylinder, fine lines pre bent lines, and the p-valve. Hope this helps

I have about $200 in part plus the cost of scarebird brackets. Haven't installed it yet.

I installed a Dana 60 with a disc brake conversion. It wasn't a Scarebird, but I can tell you from my experience, not all rims fit as they will tell you they will. I was running chrome reversed rims and the drop down in the inner barrel of the rim is so severe it hit the calipers. Pretty much every other wheel I looked at would fit, though. And since chrome reversed wheels are not very popular, you will likely be okay!

I installed a Dana 60 with a disc brake conversion. It wasn't a Scarebird, but I can tell you from my experience, not all rims fit as they will tell you they will. I was running chrome reversed rims and the drop down in the inner barrel of the rim is so severe it hit the calipers. Pretty much every other wheel I looked at would fit, though. And since chrome reversed wheels are not very popular, you will likely be okay!

Looking further into it, wheel fitment is a big concern. Mainly, I want to keep my stock 13"s until some decade later when if I decide to swap in a V8 or juice up the /6. I'm not anal about "original" it just won't look right to me having a bone-stock Dart with original drivetrain all jacked up into space. It looks like 14" wheels are the only option with the Scarebird kit, and still requires you to grind the calipers anyway. So maybe, I may embark on a junkyard DIY solution. Suggestions?

This may not apply to you, but some slant six cars had wheels that would only fit the 9" drums up front. So if you have those wheels, not even 10" drums will fit without a LOT of hand sledge work to the back of the wheel. I doubt anything bigger than MG Midget (8"...?) discs would fit easily on those.
Yes I found this out the hard way lol

This may not apply to you, but some slant six cars had wheels that would only fit the 9" drums up front. So if you have those wheels, not even 10" drums will fit without a LOT of hand sledge work to the back of the wheel. I doubt anything bigger than MG Midget (8"...?) discs would fit easily on those.
Yes I found this out the hard way lol

Yep, 9" drums. :-(

I wonder if the scarebird kit will fit 14" Cragar SS's? That is without massive caliper grinding.

anyone have detailed pics of their install. and do they or do they not fit a stock wide steel wheel?

Personally I would go the way of just getting the correct setup and stay away from the scarebird stuff....I know some have had good luck with it...but I did order a bracket kit from them and was not impressed with it...I did not like the fact that a nut is welded in place instead of just building up the plate and tapping it for the calipers....it is a place where failure could happen...an engineer where I work said that it was an ok design but agreed the nut thing should be changed........I just decided to put on craigslist and traded for spindles and calipers from a 74 dart....and even after you price it all out you could probably get a decent factory setup

I like mine. It came in around $400 complete. It needed a little love with a file to get it all installed but now it stops well. Before the drums worked great bit now I don't have to work on them to keep them from pulling to one side or another after a few weeks.

I had 10" drums and didn't want to go big bolt pattern since my 8.75 works fine.

I'm now debating which route I want to take. Looking into a later model spindle swap. Some confusion about upper/lower control arms. Which need to be swapped? Ball joints....etc. Plus finding spindles. Scarebird definitely does seem to be the "Easy" choice. But, I agree that the welded on nut is a bit jenky. Also, I would prefer to stay all Mopar, at least in theory. Toyota previa parts seem a bit out of place. There are some other kits out there but, all require 15" wheels, which I do NOT want on my early a body. I know the trends are towards 17", 19", 22" wheels on rubber band tires but, that's not for me, and I think even 15"s would be pushing it for me.

Do a search. A member just posted a detailed word file on his install.

As far as keeping it all mopar goes I say if it works and makes it safer then who cares.

Besides the new rotors and bearings are all going to be from China anyway..lol

This welded nut, is it just the one that the caliber bolts to? If so I see no problem. It's held on with a weld and its threaded onto the caliber bolt. I don't see where or how that would be a problem.

Do a search. A member just posted a detailed word file on his install.

As far as keeping it all mopar goes I say if it works and makes it safer then who cares.

Besides the new rotors and bearings are all going to be from China anyway..lol

This welded nut, is it just the one that the caliber bolts to? If so I see no problem. It's held on with a weld and its threaded onto the caliber bolt. I don't see where or how that would be a problem.

All good points to consider. What I am sure of is, before I do any performance upgrades, my first step is to get better stopping power. The single pot in general just makes me a bit nervous. Everything is working properly, I just want to protect my invesment, and of course, my safety. Which is exactly why I'm asking so many questions on the topic. I want to make a sound decision.

even the factory small bolt disk brakes require 14" disk brake rims
13" wheels will only fit drum brakes

-
Back