School me on 340 exhaust manifolds

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
Bought a numbers matching 1970 duster 340 4 Spd. All numbers matching.

Someone replaced exhaust manifolds with headers and manifolds are MIA.

I want to find correct 1970 manifolds. Will they have a date code on them? A vin number? Heat shield? Are they a "one of" manifold? Or are other years the same?

Help please.

68 to 70 are the same, passenger side changed in 71. They are date coded just to make it harder. Heat shields are reproduced and expensive. We used to throw them away...

2863553 and 2863549 are the numbers you are looking for...usually about 400-500 a set...and yes they will have a date code on them

Thanks for the info, any pics of what I'm looking for?

Where is the codes stamped on them?

Easiest to just google the part numbers given - Left 2863553 and right 2863549. Key word Mopar *part number* many picture will appear and give you a lot better idea of how they look. The right side is more unique and if going to purchase look at them closely for cracks and/or repairs.

Don't know where maple ridge is but here is a set currently for sale in Ohio on craigslist

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pts/4606865299.html

See the date codes in his pictures..... first 2 digits are the month...next two are the day ....and the last digit denotes the year

Also, so you know there is a special bolt/insert/sleeve nut kit to install these that you must buy....I will see if I can dig up a link to the kit

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-70-Mopar-A-E-Body-Cuda-Dart-340-Exhaust-Manifold-Fastener-/380976219389?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b3f3c4fd&vxp=mtr"]68 70 Mopar A E Body Cuda Dart 340 Exhaust Manifold Fastener | eBay[/ame]

If you want us to school you, you will need to show us a hall pass..... LOL!

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/ae340

There you go,and they wont be cracked. who cares if they are not factory stock,whatever used manifolds you will find wont be the factory stock ones for your car anyway.
as an added bonus some of the related items needed for the install are listed aswell:)

if i ever ended up swaping to manifolds thats the way i would go.

"whatever used manifolds you will find wont be the factory stock ones for your car anyway"

Uh, yes they will ....And if he gets a date coded pair from about 2 or 3 months before the build date of his car they will be exactly what came on his car

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/ae340

There you go,and they wont be cracked. who cares if they are not factory stock,whatever used manifolds you will find wont be the factory stock ones for your car anyway.
as an added bonus some of the related items needed for the install are listed aswell:)

if i ever ended up swaping to manifolds thats the way i would go.

Why buy those expensive aftermarket manifolds when you can buy the ones I sell for a lot less???

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=286272

I've had to raise the price a little but it's still way cheaper than the ones from "Year One". If the OP wants the "correct" manifolds for the car/year/date then he'll have to fork out the cash!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03772.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 806
  • DSC03791.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 815
Those upper manifolds are not correct for a 70, 340 Duster. He is looking to complete a numbers matching car, if I read the posts correctly.

"whatever used manifolds you will find wont be the factory stock ones for your car anyway"

Uh, yes they will ....And if he gets a date coded pair from about 2 or 3 months before the build date of his car they will be exactly what came on his car

That's what I thought. But wanted to confirm in this post.

Applaud your efforts, but the only one who cares is you. Just letting you know in advance, it's not deducted from your build.

Why buy those expensive aftermarket manifolds when you can buy the ones I sell for a lot less???

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=286272

I've had to raise the price a little but it's still way cheaper than the ones from "Year One". If the OP wants the "correct" manifolds for the car/year/date then he'll have to fork out the cash!!

Treblig

i will admit that i will never fully understand the resto crowd,but as i see it,if the manifolds are not the ones that came on the car in the first place they are not the originals anyway and in that case you might aswell get the reproduction ones since you will never find the ones that came on the car anyway.
just my point of view.

Applaud your efforts, but the only one who cares is you. Just letting you know in advance, it's not deducted from your build.

Only reason I'm looking onto going this rout is that this is a boarder line survivor car, all original less manifolds.

Normally I agree with you though, and I may not end up going this route

i will admit that i will never fully understand the resto crowd,but as i see it,if the manifolds are not the ones that came on the car in the first place they are not the originals anyway and in that case you might aswell get the reproduction ones since you will never find the ones that came on the car anyway.
just my point of view.

1Fast340....You took the words right out of my mouth!!! If you don't have the originals and you need manifolds you should always get the ones with the most/best flow for your money. Otherwise be prepared to spend some bucks!!!

Treblig

If he gets manifolds within the proper dates for his cars build then no one will know they are not the originals. Not like the manifolds are stamped with the vin number or anything. The repops have no date codes at all on them from what I remember. Easily tell they are not original.

If you want it original then buy the right manifolds for it. Look at spending $350-$500 for a nice set. And make sure the date codes are in the proper date range.

I picked a set up for $350 not long ago right here on FABO.

if he gets manifolds within the proper dates for his cars build then no one will know they are not the originals. Not like the manifolds are stamped with the vin number or anything. The repops have no date codes at all on them from what i remember. Easily tell they are not original.

If you want it original then buy the right manifolds for it. Look at spending $350-$500 for a nice set. And make sure the date codes are in the proper date range.

I picked a set up for $350 not long ago right here on fabo.

x2

Be sure to inspect anything you find very closely. They like to crack in places that are hard to see, especially without having them blasted first. The rust is good at hiding the cracks.

Putting up the date range you are interested in might help you find what you need.

yes X3....... I perfectly understand looking for the correct and dated manifolds for a 70 #'s duster. if he later wants to use a better flowing piece, he still has the correct ones stored away. they will only get more expensive...as time goes on... till our cars are worthless!??? if ever....

and if thru to us mopar guys, he will eventually wind up with another car, maybe a totally non correct, non #'s, radically built bruiser!? who knows??

-
Back