School me on Duster Clusters?

-

vntned

Reaction score
So my son and I have a '70 Duster we're throwing together. The original standard gauge cluster was gone when we got it, and it had another one thrown in it.

My question is how do I tell a '70 cluster from a later cluster? I was told they are different.

Top one is the rallye dash which came in 340 cars. Standard cluster is below. Newer standard ones up to 1976 will fit but they have extra “idiot” lights in them

0AECDD57-24D8-4BC7-9C1B-DCE7CFD1D169.png

Why Chrysler never offered the rally dash as an option after 71 pissed me off. I had ordered a 72 340 until I found out no rally dash and lower compression on the 340 and that turned me off so I bought a leftover 71 340 Duster. But they offer a sunroof on a car that can go over a 150 mph.

I really don't know about over a hundred fifty miles an hour

I was actually referring to new SRT Challengers with that statement. All in stock Challengers back in 2010 had a sunroof, so I had to order 1 sans a sunroof.

Gotcha, I was trying to picture a duster screaming @ 150mph

'76 used an externally shunted ammeter. It can't be used as an in-line ammeter.

member Redfish has mentioned a slight change in resistance calibration on the other gages. You'ld want to lok into that if using a later dash. I dont recall the details off the top of my head.

'76 used an externally shunted ammeter. It can't be used as an in-line ammeter.

member Redfish has mentioned a slight change in resistance calibration on the other gages. You'ld want to lok into that if using a later dash. I dont recall the details off the top of my head.
If that cluster would fit I would mod the harness to use the later ammeter!!!!

It would not be that difficult.....the harness itself is used for the shunt, you merely have to run two wires out and tap into the old harness.

I owned a 72 Duster 340 purchased new Oct. 71. Sold in 75. The young fellow who bought it, out ran the RCMP, who claimed their speedometer showed 145 mph and couldn't catch up!

-
Back