schumaker header problem

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar7172

Banned
Reaction score
i'm havin a problem with those schumaker headers i have for my 440 on my 71 dart.the header flange is rubbin aganist my idler arm.i tried to flip the idler arm around it only fits one way.do u think by chance my transmission is a little off?some the bolt holes don't line up with the crossmember.

Sounds like maybe your engine is not sitting straight . I just put in Schumachers in my 69 with a 440 and had no issues with the idler arm.

Sounds like maybe your engine is not sitting straight . I just put in Schumachers in my 69 with a 440 and had no issues with the idler arm.
what motor mounts did u use?
And oldkimmer its rubbin where i can't even put a bolt in the flange bolt hole when put a exhaust system on the headers.

Did you use the Schumacher mounts? If you did, the kit should come with shims. This way you can raise the motor to be level on either side or raise the motor higher

nah i use the transdepot mounts,when i bought the headers they came with shims.do u think my transmission isn't total level?

your trans may be level, but every car is different, thats why they give you the shims with the headers. I have seen a few like this.

My car is an original big block car so I used the stock mounts and k-frame.
Rod

what motor mounts did u use?
And oldkimmer its rubbin where i can't even put a bolt in the flange bolt hole when put a exhaust system on the headers.

how did they fix the problem? if u seen a few like this.

When I used the Schumacher mounts , you put the shims under the motor mounts to raise the motor a little at a time to get the clearance you need for thwe headers. I even use them on My 71 scamp just for more clearance on the oil filter when using a high volume oil pump. You may have a problem with the transdepot mounts.

When I used the Schumacher mounts , you put the shims under the motor mounts to raise the motor a little at a time to get the clearance you need for thwe headers. I even use them on My 71 scamp just for more clearance on the oil filter when using a high volume oil pump. You may have a problem with the transdepot mounts.
ok thats what i did with shims i put under the mounts.

I had problems with my headers. Alot of these headers when made are fitted to 73 and up Idler , pitman arm and center link. This totally moves everything and allows better fittment in some cases. You may want to look at that option .Older designs fit the early models . I don't know why they don't explain this with the purchase . They are different from 73 and up so how can the headers be the same. Just some info you all may want to concider . Steve

I had problems with my headers. Alot of these headers when made are fitted to 73 and up Idler , pitman arm and center link. This totally moves everything and allows better fittment in some cases. You may want to look at that option .Older designs fit the early models . I don't know why they don't explain this with the purchase . They are different from 73 and up so how can the headers be the same. Just some info you all may want to concider . Steve
ok well i'm using the 73 pittman arm and center link and idler arm.
snake and doug 371 i will see if that works.

are you sure you have your motor mount brackets on the correct side of the ears on the block, They should be behind the ears on both sides . I have seen guys do this more than once. This will throw the trans mount out also. Just something else you might want to look at, Steve

are you sure you have your motor mount brackets on the correct side of the ears on the block, They should be behind the ears on both sides . I have seen guys do this more than once. This will throw the trans mount out also. Just something else you might want to look at, Steve
ok thanks i will take a look at that also

mine did the same thing with the trans adapt mounts i shimmed it level too. i ended up grinding the flange a bit. no biggie

I don't have access until Monday; check ears and front mounts, trans mount will flip, I think the cross bolt is forward, dunno. I have shimmed up small blocks.

The last 440 in a Charger, with TTI's, we had to bend the brackets on the idler k-frame, to get it to clear.

green 1 and ajp440 thanks for the advice. thanks for tellin me how u fix your problem ajp440.probably will have to do the same thing. did u have problems on the drivers side apj440 also?

nope just passenger side, the downpipe on my exauhst was a little tricky though since i did my exauhst in my garage at home and the driver side flange comes down at a weird angle.

Ok, I have really confused myself now. The 70 Duster came with a 318, now 340; bracket behind ears, no spacers, trans bolt forward on crossmember.

340 block out of 70 original 340 Swinger; rear, but driver side top needs 3'4" spacer.

But 20 years ago, my Dodge 150 (that Mustang 5.0 killer is gone now) got the 318 swapped out for a 340. Maybe some brackets got moved around.

I have the 440 in my Dart with all the Shumacher stuff. Those shims are used to get the motor centered and at the correct factory location. If you call him he will give you the measurements to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back