Scoop or No Scoop???

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
I'm really torn on this. I've found a scoop that I like. It's not a traditional A body scoop, but it is a MOPAR piece. Normally goes on the Ram 1500 trucks. I can't decide if I want to go down this road or not. I'm leaning towards NO, because I really think the Duster has great, clean lines and it doesn't need a scoop. Also, I have a fresh air system that I can use instead of a scoop.

But, I also think the scoop "UP's" the muscle car factor and can look pretty cool. Adding the scoop will require drilling some mounting holes and also cutting a hole above the air cleaner. It's a big decision. Once the first hole is drilled, I'm committed.

What do y'all think about the pics?
Y or N to adding the scoop?
There are some mounting studs at the front of the scoop, that require holes to slide into, so it's not sitting flush. And, it's not exactly centered, but you get the idea.

Also, the color of the car is gonna be a dark charcoal, so the scoop will probably blend into the hood and not be as obvious as if it were on a light colored car.

IMG_20210510_123408077_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210510_123431711_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210510_123441626_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210510_123449960.jpg

It's not for me however there is too much contrast in color with the current workings going on with the car. Now if it was all one color or a Plum Crazy per se and a Matt black finish scoop maybe it would make more sense to me....

Your car, your way. Just doing something is good in my book....

JW

I think you answered your own question.

You will have to cut up a perfectly good hood.

You have a cold air system already.

If you really want to you could command strip it onto the hood and drive (low speeds) to see if you like it after all.

I think you answered your own question.

You will have to cut up a perfectly good hood.

You have a cold air system already.

If you really want to you could command strip it onto the hood and drive (low speeds) to see if you like it after all.

Yeah, I did spend a LOT of time getting that hood straight. Be a shame to cut it up. I might get a fiberglass hood with the hemi scoop molded in. Then I can change it out if the mood strikes.
My only issue is that I want a very low profile scoop. I'd prefer a 1" total height. This one is 1.75", the lowest I could find.
Most are 2" - 3". I just think it's too high.

I like the low profile Mopar Pro scoop better. That is, if you just GOTTA have a scoop.

Yeah, I did spend a LOT of time getting that hood straight. Be a shame to cut it up. I might get a fiberglass hood with the hemi scoop molded in. Then I can change it out if the mood strikes.
My only issue is that I want a very low profile scoop. I'd prefer a 1" total height. This one is 1.75", the lowest I could find.

The Straight Scoop: Exploring the Science Behind Hood Scoop Design - OnAllCylinders

Might be some info here.

Last edited:

DSC00367.JPG
DSC00365.JPG

People will dump on it since it's cowl induction, but it's all Mopar and about as low profile as you can find. And cheap in the boneyards.

Last edited:
I like the clean lines of the Dusters without the scoups.

If you want it to looks bad ***, wheels with some hefty meats in the back and a nice stance.

Its all about the wheels, tire selection and stance. Nice clean lines otherwise.

0806161957.jpg

I am in the no camp.
Unless you go with a glass hood, then make yourself happy!

Since you are not in paint yet, buy another steel hood fab a scoop that you like and swap at will, hood springs will not be a problem that way.

Thanks everyone for their input!

I don't think I can cut holes in this hood. I love the lines on this car, and not having a scoop will help preserve the "sleeper" ruse.

Any idea what the width on that scoop is? I wonder how it would look if it was turned around?
If I remember correctly, it's about 16 or 18" wide... sold it a while back or I'd go get you some definite measurements.

I don't like the Demon scoop.
I don't like the 2 spread out side scoops.
The six pack scoop is decent. But I wish it was about half as tall. If I get a fiberglass hood, I'd get the six pack type.

-
Back