Scratches on Windows... Updates

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Here is an Update on the Scratches on Windows thread I posted. I couldn't figure out how to add pics to my post on that thread so I started a new one.

Here are some pictures of my passenger side windows after 2 treatments of using the Cerium Oxide Polish on the Duster's passenger side window. Please note that I do not have any "Before" pics but believe me this glass looks so much clearer. This is the original 36 year old window glass that had many years of Scratches, Pits from years of this vehicle living in New England prior to my move to North Carolina in 2007. The original owner of this car did occasionally drive this car in the winter months and had used an ice scraper on the windows thus there were many scratches on this glass. I can barely see any now!!!! I am going to use this compound on all of my window glass and try to breathe new life into my old glass.I have not done the windshield yet so when I get ready to do the glass, I will snap some Before Shots and After shots to compare the difference in clarity in the glass.

Picture 621.jpg

Picture 622.jpg

That looks great! It`s much better than the results I had using a compound I got from Eastwood. The product I used seem to clean up the small scratches but emphasized the large ones. Lol!

I need some type of solution like this for my Falcon. I think some PO thought it would be a good idea to operate the wipers with no wiper blades! I can't wait to see the results on your windshield.

I need to try this on my 65 Dart Wagon. Apparently the PO pissed someone off and they scratched FU** onto the passenger far rear window. I assume that window is almost impossible to find, so this looks like my best option. (the car was so dirty when I bought it I did not see the scratches til I washed it)

I just found rear windows for a 63 Dart wagon on craigs list. Should I get these now, or see if I can buff out the scrathes?

can you post a pic of what you used? i have no idea what you are useing. Cerium Oxide Polish? it does look pretty good.

Here is a link to buy the item from McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4335a18/=4d1k9v

The listing below is similar to the powder I bought off of E Bay and am using on my glass. I would not invest in the pad they list on this site as it may not do many pcs. of glass. The small jar I purchased will do about 25 windshields worth of glass. This is more than enough if you need to re apply and clean your glass windows more than once. I will be polishing out my windshield this weekend and will update with before and after pics. Make sure that when you mix this with water to try to get the constancy of toothpaste in the mix, it works really well.

Polishing Compounds for Glass Surfaces Great for polishing optics and lenses, these compounds also work well on other glass and ceramic surfaces. Grain size is given in microns (1 micron = 0.001 mm).
Cerium Oxide Powder— A tight particle distribution produces ultra-fine finishes. Mix with water. Grain size is 0.6-0.7 microns. Furnished in a 1-lb. jar. Color is off-white.

Nice work on the window. I bought a kit from Sears with a 8 oz. jar of cerium oxide and a thick felt pad for a drill. It was one of the least expensive kits I found on the net.

Do a search for "Formax glass polishing kit" and you will find many vendors.
Mine from Sears says, "Formax #BX-6638" and I think the Sears number is
"Stock No. 13-2455".

thanks for the links and further info guys. i must say it does look good!

Looks great! I wonder if it would work as well on factory tinted glass?

Looks great! I wonder if it would work as well on factory tinted glass?

I do not think that it would hurt factory tint, but I would not use it on window tinted with film. Try a very small amount on a corner of your window and see, or better yet maybe you could contact the manufacture of the cerium oxide and ask them, or call a glass shop and ask. I do not know about using a drill as it may cause too much friction to build up, I found that just using the hand buffing/polishing method works well.

The listing below is similar to the powder I bought off of E Bay and am using on my glass. I would not invest in the pad they list on this site as it may not do many pcs. of glass.

May I ask what type of polishing pad and machine you used?

Your glass looks great.

Thanks,
ken

Here is an Update on the Scratches on Windows thread I posted. I couldn't figure out how to add pics to my post on that thread so I started a new one.

Here are some pictures of my passenger side windows after 2 treatments of using the Cerium Oxide Polish on the Duster's passenger side window. Please note that I do not have any "Before" pics but believe me this glass looks so much clearer. This is the original 36 year old window glass that had many years of Scratches, Pits from years of this vehicle living in New England prior to my move to North Carolina in 2007. The original owner of this car did occasionally drive this car in the winter months and had used an ice scraper on the windows thus there were many scratches on this glass. I can barely see any now!!!! I am going to use this compound on all of my window glass and try to breathe new life into my old glass.I have not done the windshield yet so when I get ready to do the glass, I will snap some Before Shots and After shots to compare the difference in clarity in the glass.

Nice job ,maniac,I am waitin for the before and after pics comin up.My front and rear windows are pretty bad so this looks like a good idea for next spring.Puttin her away pretty soon.8)

Great helpful post.

I need to try this on my 67 cuda rear glass since it is pretty beat up from serving as a workbench in a barn for 15 years.

May I ask what type of polishing pad and machine you used?

Your glass looks great.

Thanks,
ken

I actually did not use any type of machine. I simply used the cerium oxide and applied it using a microfiber cloth that I moistened a little with water. Then I used circular rubbing motion and slowly polished the scratches out of the glass. I did have to use some horizontal and vertical rubbing on some of the deeper scratches. I believe that this compound actually fills in and buffs out the scratches and pits in the window. I have since washed this window with vinegar and water solution and the scratches have not re-appeared. I am going to do the windshield this weekend. I would not use a machine as I would not want to generate too much heat using any type of machine.Hand buffing works best in this application. Hope this helps!!!!!!!

-
Back