SE bikes...

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has one or has road one?...
Screenshot_20220416-133203.png
Screenshot_20220417-072912.png

“Bike Life” wheelie bikes. Kids ride them all over here. They can ride wheelies for miles on them. I have a 26” which is the next size down and is a little more nimble for doing Bmx-lite type crap my old joints are limited to.

Last edited:
I always rode a 24-in JMC cruiser back in the day but I always had the larger 20-in style handlebars on it. I felt more comfortable with the handlebars in front of me instead of underneath...
I've been looking at these bikes and noticing they come in a lot larger versions but I noticed also the 24 in XL Foval flyer came in like 23 and a half pounds? I really like the idea of it being light... Then again I'm at least 50 lb heavier than I was when I rode mine LOL...

“Bike Life” willy bikes. Kids ride them all over here. They can ride willys for miles on them. I have a 26” which is the next size down and is a little more nimble for doing Bmx-lite type crap my old joints are limited to.
I don't have any local dealers that have these particular brands at least. I'd like to try a few different sizes before I purchase...
My wife and I had a couple beach cruisers a couple years ago and they were totally heavy and totally lame and we sold them... This time I want to go back to my roots to something I'm comfortable on...

FYI I'm not taking it to the local track and trying to clear the triples LOL...

I don't have any local dealers that have these particular brands at least. I'd like to try a few different sizes before I purchase...
My wife and I had a couple beach cruisers a couple years ago and they were totally heavy and totally lame and we sold them... This time I want to go back to my roots to something I'm comfortable on...
That’s what I was looking for when I settled on this Framed 26”. I liked the 29” and SE and Ripper were huge growing up and riding in the 80s but everything I read led me to something a little smaller. I bought mine 2nd hand off of Craigslist and it’s basically a light weight beach cruiser that I can hop curbs with and get my old BMX vibe on.

Mine came with a “Flip Flop Hub” and a 16T freewheel. I added a 17T freewheel making off the line acceleration easier. It also moves the rear wheel forward slightly, creating a shorter rear triangle. This helps me get it up. LOL

LBS used to have a 20" Quadrangle that was sick but out of my price range. Anymore for me the 29 is the way to go, it responds much more gradually on wheelies and is great unless you're doing bunnyhops and landing stuff. Then it's time to break spokes.
My wrists haven't forgiven me for the years of jumps though :(

I thought I caught one website that was just selling the frame only with the forks put together..
I guess part of my thinking is my old school thinking of how we always used to try and get the bikes as light as possible...

LBS used to have a 20" Quadrangle that was sick but out of my price range. Anymore for me the 29 is the way to go, it responds much more gradually on wheelies and is great unless you're doing bunnyhops and landing stuff. Then it's time to break spokes.
My wrists haven't forgiven me for the years of jumps though :(
I like the thought of some old school tough wheels too...

My son has 2 SE bikes, A “maniac flyer” and “big ripper”.

I have cruised both of his bikes around the neighborhood and they are a lot of fun to ride!

My son has 2 SE bikes, A “maniac flyer” and “big ripper”.

I have cruised both of his bikes around the neighborhood and they are a lot of fun to ride!
I appreciate the feedback this is giving me more of a comfortable feeling about buying one..

I raced a P K Ripper in the early 80's. I just picked up an OM Flyer that has a derailleur and juice brakes. I love it.

Purt near a thousand dollars for a single speed bike?

Yeah, they are a bit overpriced new I think. I found this one built as a 10 speed with a 10 gear sprocket on the back. They're trading on the name and nostalgia of folks remembering the name from back in the day.

had two big rippers. over priced for what you get. have a 29" haro group 1 that is a much nicer bike and was cheaper. i prefer the 26" bikes. they feel like what a 20" bike felt like to me when i was kid if that makes sense. i have a 26" haro group 1, two 26" fit trippers and a 26" GT performer. all much nicer bikes then what SE sells.

had two big rippers. over priced for what you get. have a 29" haro group 1 that is a much nicer bike and was cheaper. i prefer the 26" bikes. they feel like what a 20" bike felt like to me when i was kid if that makes sense. i have a 26" haro group 1, two 26" fit trippers and a 26" GT performer. all much nicer bikes then what SE sells.
My bike that I had when I was young was chromoly and pretty light but I always had a fascination with the aluminum...
Again in those days we were always trying to get them as light as possible and still hold up to the punishment. And now being 50 60 70 lb heavier they're going to get punishment just being on it LOL...

I've been thinking of getting a 24".

I'm 6'3" with a long spine.

A 26/27" mountain bike is not a comfortable riding position for me.
With the bars flat, my back is bent over too much.

A 20" is just too small, although I really like to throw them around.
(at least I used to)

Hopefully a 24" will be somewhere in between.
I've never had one before, or even spent any time on one.

Local thrift store had a Mongoose brand 24" needing tires for $40.
Mongoose was my preferred brand back in the 80's.
I know it's not the same now.

I am concerned with material.
Even back when I was 14, I couldn't have an AL frame- I'd bend it.
Nor could I have a mild steel rear triangle- I'd break it.
Had to be full Cr-Mo.
Also had to have one piece Cr-Mo crank, or I'd break or bend that.
...and a Cr-Mo stem. Breaking the bottom of a stem is NO FUN on landing.
Almost forgot- Cr-Mo handlebars as well. Broke quite a few steel/AL bars at the cross bar weld(s).

Last edited:
I've been thinking of getting a 24".

I'm 6'3" with a long spine.

A 26/27" mountain bike is not a comfortable riding position for me.
With the bars flat, my back is bent over too much.

A 20" is just too small, although I really like to throw then around.
(at least I used to)

Hopefully a 24" will be somewhere in between.
I've never had one before, or even spent any time on one.

Local thrift store had a Mongoose brand 24" needing tires for $40.
Mongoose was my preferred brand back in the 80's.
I know it's not the same now.
I'm sure the very first thing I will do is ditch the normal 24-in cruiser bars again that are too low... I may have mentioned it before but I always used the taller 20-in bike style bars and I didn't feel like I was bending over or about to go over the front of the bike as I rode it...
That's why that second picture in post one has a picture of one with the taller handlebars not that I really like the gold and black but even in that guy's review comment he said he added those handlebars... In more feel like you're behind the bars instead of over top of them... I'm really not sure how that whole trend started...

oh one other thing. the big ripper is long. feels long. like a freaking limo. yiu get used to it pretty quick but its still huge. my 29" haro feels smaller and just feels better riding for me. still a big bike and 29" rims but just feels better for me. there is also a 29" GT performer too so maybe you'll want to check a few different brands out and see what fits ya better. .

as soon as ya buy a SE bike you may as well buy bearings for the cranks because they will clank and be bad from almost day one. common issue with them.

-
Back