SE bikes...

-
Is SE the same company as they were in the 80's?

What others did they have?

Quad-Angle comes to mind.

oh one other thing. the big ripper is long. feels long. like a freaking limo. yiu get used to it pretty quick but its still huge. my 29" haro feels smaller and just feels better riding for me. still a big bike and 29" rims but just feels better for me. there is also a 29" GT performer too so maybe you'll want to check a few different brands out and see what fits ya better. .

as soon as ya buy a SE bike you may as well buy bearings for the cranks because they will clank and be bad from almost day one. common issue with them.
I agree I need to really get out there and test some of these bikes out...

wheelie maybe?
When I looked at these bikes and some of the videos and comments it seems like a lot of the purpose of the bike is to do wheelies?... I wonder if that's the purpose of the longer frame?.. I don't think I've ever rode a bike without trying to do a wheelie LOL.. but with that said I would just kind of like it to be all purpose and I like them light I like to bunny hop...

Is SE the same company as they were in the 80's?

What others did they have?

Quad-Angle comes to mind.
No, the current “se bikes” are sourced out of country. The old se racing (Scott Enterprises) was done quite a number of years ago. Scott Breithaupt passed away a few years back. (Very sad story). Se bikes has actually done a good job keeping the original theme though. Great to see some old school Bmxrs here..!! Still have my 1982 Quad angle..Any California made bmx bike is worth pretty good money now……Swingn’

I was just trying to remember what happened to the de-epoxyed Team Mongoose I built in the 80's.

I think I gave it away when I moved to FL at age 20.

Possibly to the nephew of a friend.

SE Big Ripper

CBCB5C56-13D3-4893-AA25-DA39C6E93157.jpeg
4931E439-E616-4A9D-8ACB-953E6F2AA5E3.jpeg

That's cheap! If I wanted my old JMC cruiser back I seen a nice frame and forks on flea Bay for 4K... That's what's not going to happen lol...
A grand is a lot of money to me.

I was just trying to remember what happened to the de-epoxyed Team Mongoose I built in the 80's.

I think I gave it away when I moved to FL at age 20.

Possibly to the nephew of a friend.
De-epoxyed? Never heard of that before.
Started on a retired race bike that had a motorcycle shock in the frame and Ashtabula forks very similar to the pic. Broke that frame twice then on to a full chrome Roger Decoster

1975-Redline-Monoshock.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC DeCosters (made by the same company as Mongoose- BMX Products) were only available with the front triangle Cr-Mo.

Full Cr-Mo Team Mongooses only came in epoxy finish red or blue.
They chipped pretty easily.
Under the epoxy, they were nickel. Not as shiny as chrome but still pretty
Took quite a while to get all that epoxy out of the nooks and crannies.

I bought that frame for $50 (a LOT for a 14 year old kid in 1982) because the guy that owned it chipped the hell out of it and didn't want to take the time to strip the epoxy. His parents bought him a new Super Goose frame.

I was so poor, I couldn't afford a sticker kit, so I made my own rear triangle stickers from some of my mom's blank mailing labels and correction tape, painted like the factory stickers. They turned out pretty good.

Full Cr-Mo SuperGoose was the same frame, but chrome plated.
Cost quite a bit more.

80% of my stuff was bought used or traded for, though.
IIRC the only things I bought new were the crank, pedals and handlebars.
Maybe some brake HW.
The prototype Nitto SX stem was given to me by K&G bike shop who later became DK, manufacturer of frames and then complete bikes (with Mopar names, nonetheless). They gave it to me because I broke three Sun Tours in three months.

Last edited:
IIRC DeCosters (also a BMX company product along with Mongoose) were only available with the front triangle Cr-Mo.

Full Cr-Mo Team Mongooses only came in epoxy finish red or blue.
They chipped pretty easily.
Under the epoxy, they were nickel. Not as shiny as chrome but still pretty
Took quite a while to get all that epoxy out of the nooks and crannies.

I bought that frame for $50 (a LOT for a 14 year old kid in 1982) because the guy that owned it chipped the hell out of it and didn't want to take the time to strip the epoxy. His parents bought him a new Super Goose frame.

I was so poor, I couldn't afford a sticker kit, so I made my own rear triangle stickers from some of my mom's blank mailing labels and correction tape, painted like the factory stickers. They turned out pretty good.

Full Cr-Mo SuperGoose was the same frame, but chrome plated.
Cost quite a bit more.

80% of my stuff was bought used or traded for, though.
IIRC the only things I bought new were the crank, pedals and handlebars.
Maybe some brake HW.
The prototype Nitto SX stem was given to me by K&G bike shop who later became DK, manufacturer of frames and then complete bikes (with Mopar names, nonetheless). They gave it to me because I broke three Sun Tours in three months.
I'm still poor! LOL... My first 24-in cruiser was a team Murray which even back then was known to be the Kmart of bikes... I worked in the neighbor lady's yard digging weeds and doing all kinds of stuff I didn't really like doing and went down to the local bike shop and kept buying parts for it and changing them out. Even to the point to where I had to buy the rim separate from the hubs and the spokes separate from everything and lace them myself. Just so I could buy each part at a time but after time I had one bad *** bike except for the frame and forks.. the team Murray frame and forks was Chrome and didn't look terrible but it was still what it was and it bugged me.. I road it like heck but finally ran into a guy selling a JMC cruiser frame and forks and like you said 1982 and it was 75 bucks!.. I must have begged my aunt and uncle blind LOL.. don't remember how I came up with the money but I got it...

One of my friends did the same thing.

Huffy Pro II, and upgraded one or two parts at a time until it was the nicest Huffy in the area.

One of my friends did the same thing.

Huffy Pro II, and upgraded one or two parts at a time until it was the nicest Huffy in the area.
…..Yep, started with a yard sale Murray 20” painted the frame added some parts made it look bmx themed. 1975..Sold it and bought a brand new rampar. First organized race Hyannis Mass 1976. Worked my way through selling bikes and parts, first PK Ripper ordered and paid for it sep 1979. Finally recieved it June 1980. Bought and sold a lot of bikes and parts back then..Swingn’

Many BIg Rippers around here. I remember the Foilers (aero Reynolds AL frames) and the PK Rippers (rectangle tubes?) from the 80's too. I just sold my 84 Dyno Bazooka, all GT hardware...$90. and it took me 3 weeks to get a bite. :-( I should have saved it and just bought an old GT frame for all the parts. I liked Diamond Back and Red Line bikes but could never afford them. I rode a Huffy...(But it ended up being a factory team oval tube race frame! Didn't know it until an older guy pointed it out at the local bike track).

I went to Junior high in Southern California for a couple years when I lived with my dad and if you didn't have a pair of checkered Vans you were an outcast...
My 21 year old son still rocks blue and white checkered slip-ons.....Van Doren's kid (Vans) went to high school with my older sister. Whole basketball team had Vans. They used to be $21 bucks here (1977ish?) ) AND you could order the 2 colors in any combo...3 colors was $5 more.

My 21 year old son still rocks blue and white checkered slip-ons.....Van Doren's kid (Vans) went to high school with my older sister. Whole basketball team had Vans. They used to be $21 bucks here (1977ish?) ) AND you could order the 2 colors in any combo...3 colors was $5 more.
Very cool on the vans thing..!! They took a lot longer to catch on the east coast here, more like you WERE an outcast if you had a pair late 70’s early 80’s…Swingn’

Yes I remember $21 for the slip-on Vans and hopefully you had a friend that had the same size as you and the big thing was to trade one black and white checker for one red and white checker and to have two different color checkered shoes on...:rolleyes:... The good old days LOL... When someone else paid the bills LOL...

Vans were super popular with the BMX and skate crowd in OH as early as I can remember 1980.

I need a tall shoe, so no bueno for me :(

Very cool on the vans thing..!! They took a lot longer to catch on the east coast here, more like you WERE an outcast if you had a pair late 70’s early 80’s…Swingn’
It was definitely a California thing even up here in Oregon I got looked at like a Californian LOL...
Truth being I'm an old man fisherman from Saginaw Michigan.. (Lefty frizzell..)

-
Back