Sealing a Fuel Sump

-

71Duster

Reaction score
I bought a sumped tank that my car really doesn't need a few years ago from a nameless vender.

In the last year it would weep fuel from one of the plugged bungs on the sump. Recently it's gotten worse leaving a spot of fuel on the garage floor. Obviously not cool.

I assumed it was the plug leaking. Pulled it out, drained all the fuel cleaned the threads new teflon and back in. Still leaks. Looks to me it's leaking from where the bung is welded in. Cracked maybe? Dunno.

Short of a rad shop welding is there anything you can do at home? Otherwise I want to put a stock tank and 3/8 sending unit and be done. To bad I can;t find someone local to trade with who actully needs the tank.

I fixed a similar problem on a Harley carb with JB weld. 2 years no leaks. Saw at the track last week a holley fuel bowl fitting repaired with it.

My local exhaust shop welded a Comp Engineering sump onto a new tank. After welding, they followed up with brazing or solder to ensure any pin holes from the mig welding were sealed.

I like JB weld too, that stuff fixes everything.

I say pull it and have a shop weld it up right. Other than your labor, how much can it cost? I mean really?

Rad shop quoted $70 so I brought the tank there yesterday. Should know by Monday if it's all good.

Well $100 later they say the tank is all good and tested ok.

So looks like I get to JB weld after all as there must be a pinhole in the weld that makes a very small leak.

-
Back