seat belt Harnesses and kids seats

-

bigdemo1

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on harnesses and kids seats so I can take the kids (five year old and new born) to shows and cruise nights,anyone done this any pics.I'm thinking of simpson harnesses so I can mount them to the floor,thoughts?

i mean all ive been doing was using seatbelt that was already in back seat and works fine, i mean i replaced them cause i didnt trust and not too sure about a racing harness if thats what you are talking about because i only have a harness in the truck so not back seat.

I have been trying to decide as well which belt to use when I secure a kids seat in my convertible. I have seen alot of the 4pt harnesses on Ebay and most of them look very cheap. After alot of research, I think Im going to try the one listed below. They come in 8 different colors and 2 different buckle options. Ill let you know how it works out.

Heres the link:

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/am4point.html

seat belt.jpg

DA69RT exactly what I was looking for,simpsons want at least twice this much.

I dont know much about the company- but after doing alot of research, I thought these fit my needs in regards to safety, price, and ease of installation.
If anybody has used these (or have another suggestion) please let us know!
Ive attached the installation instructions...

4-point-seat-belt.gif

why not just use the normal kid car seats? thats the proper way to do it and safest way. you lock them in with the the factory seat belts. that's what i do with my 16 moth old. she road in my dart a lot last year at 6 months old. here in jersey and i'm pretty sure though-out the states they need to be in a car seat till something like 100 pounds. then a booster seat.

here is a friends kids in his cuda..

oc%20006.jpg

this is my girl when she was really little in the back of jamies dart..

4-5-09%20011.jpg

We use the kids car seat, but being that I have a convertible... I'd prefer to have additional restraining security. I know that a major roll over (God forbid) would only benefit from a rollbar but I felt that the 4pt shoulder harness would keep him better secured and held in if we did have an accident. Something holding his whole body in across shoulders AND lap seems a better option than just a belt across his lap where he could possibly be shot out his seat.
If I had a hardtop- Id probably look into a 3pt belt but theres no place to mount the shoulder strap in my car.
Believe me- I do not speed with my son in the car and take additional care when my family is riding w/me. We usually just do cruises by the beach, etc. Its all the other crazy drivers I worry about... I cant control their carelessness.
This 4 pt looks like it will be fairly easy to install and will hold my precious little guy car in more securely.

Abodyjoe- your pics didnt load?

I'd prefer to have additional restraining security. I know that a major roll over (God forbid) would only benefit from a rollbar but I felt that the 4pt shoulder harness would keep him better secured and held in if we did have an accident. Something holding his whole body in across shoulders AND lap seems a better option than just a belt across his lap where he could possibly be shot out his seat.

the lap belt hods the child seat in the car and the kids seat should have its own harness to hold the kid in. a strap over each shoulder, a strap between the legs and a strap around the waist. not sure how much safer you could even make that. maybe i'm just not understanding what your talking about.

can ya see the pics now? i can see them on my side .

I put tethers in the back of my 74's work good used a strap run down behind the seat to the seatbelt bolts so no drilling if you need pics pm me

infant car seats have their own straps but a lot of the seats made for toddlers etc don't have their own straps, they are made to use a 3 point like is found in the newer cars. I can understand wanting some upper body restraint.

What we're looking for is something for our five year old for upper body as our dart only has lap belts in back and booster seat requires at least a shoulder belt,also 37 year old seatbelt stitching probably not to good,people restore bodies,paint interiors,engines,etc.never give a thought to their seat belts.

Yea- no shoulder restraints on the older kids car seats. My 4yr old could be catapulted out of my convertible if I ever had a front ender... Lap belt just isnt enough.

We use Radian Car seats their high end one are 250$ each but have a 5 point harness up to 60 pounds I think. My 7 year old daughter still rides in it we bought 3 of them just for the darts as they were our only cars at the time.

Googled RADIAN Car Seats- Pricey but look very cool (and more importantly: safe) but it says they have a "SuperLatch" system that installs without car seat belt up to 80 lbs?

Dont you need the lower anchor bars that are factory attached on newer cars behind seats? It appears as though their technology wont work with a 1960's car unless you modify (ie weld an attachment bar). Attached pic of their Superlatch.

Interested- but question easy install. Feedback appreciated.

latch_image.jpg

Shoulder harneses should never be anchored only to the floor and ran over the back of the seat. In an accident the force of moving forward will crush the seat and you. This is the reason that most factory shoulder harnesses are attached at the roof. One of the shoulder harness anchor points needs to be about shoulder height or higher. It is best to use the stock belts for car seats, it is what they were designed to be used with.

Chuck

totally agree with 340 mopar. if you search through schroth racing site they have pages of info on the correct way to mount a harness.

There is a reason why you see roll bars/cages and the shoulder belts attached to the them. Either do it right or dont do it all.

My friend wants to put 4pt harness in his stang but wants to keep back seat. I told him do one of the other because if he tries to do both, the safety of the passengers will diminish.

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf
http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/Rallye-Instructions.pdf

read up

You know- I have heard this from many different sources and THANKS for the Schroth links.
Will definitely think this one thru before any install. I guess just installing a 4pt harness isnt the answer... its how its installed!

Thanks again- great info!

-
Back