Seat foam recommendations

-

cudafish65

Reaction score
does anyone recommend a brand or company of seat foams. I used a PUI seat foam and it did not fit correctly, it was way too big. before I lose another $200 I want to see if anyone has any experience using any other brand, thanks

I wish I could say that there was a good one out there, but most of them are larger than original or just generic fits for multiple years and body platforms like A's and B's most are going to need a little massaging to get them to fit. I had to take an air grinder and a new 80 grit disc to the legendary seat buns for my 70 challenger. I had to shave over 1 inch off the sides to let the new skins fit the buns (since I'm working and learning at a custom interior shop it helped) the backrest needed the least work but still had to be massaged to fit good without looking "overstuffed" thewy still look good after 20k driving on em.
Picture 140.jpg

Most replacements are at least a/b-body even Legendary. B body is a larger seat so the buns would need trimmed to fit a-body ( been there done that ). Legendary provides the info, where they need trimmed for a-body, etc... I don't know what info the others provide. I don't know why you couldn't trim what you already have either.

The foams i have now i have to trim about 2-1/2 inches in certaim parts. Just seems like alot when your paying 300 for foams

The foams i have now i have to trim about 2-1/2 inches in certaim parts. Just seems like alot when your paying 300 for foams
To cut away a half inch or a half foot, still better that correcting too small.
If bucket seat bottom buns were exactly sized for second gen' A-body low back buckets they would be too small for the first gen' a-body bucket seat bottoms. Those seat bottoms are about a inch wider on what is basically the same seat frame.
Consider these questions... How many different sizes should we expect them to inventory/offer? How precisely should the seat covers be made?
There is no micrometer measuring to cut and sew. The seat skins will vary just like different brands of jeans.

From what I understand after talking to an upholstery guy, these are all coming from one source, no matter the brand. They are molded from tooling to the correct shape and it's not cheap. They make one size to "fit" vintage A and B bodies. 66Dvert has the right idea. Trim what you have.

I used Legendary for my 69 A standard interior and had to modify it a ton. They only offer a version that is based on the deluxe interiors. PUI seems to be the same! I think this is were many say they are oversized. I would suggest looking at the P&G offerings. I have seen and touched the 68/69 foam and it is cut and formed very close to original standard style. They do not seem to offer a deluxe version.

That being said for your year, you did not say, 65 I assume? Look at their catalog closely and you may find a shape that looks closer to your original foam.

I used Legendary for my 69 A standard interior and had to modify it a ton. They only offer a version that is based on the deluxe interiors. PUI seems to be the same! I think this is were many say they are oversized. I would suggest looking at the P&G offerings. I have seen and touched the 68/69 foam and it is cut and formed very close to original standard style. They do not seem to offer a deluxe version.

That being said for your year, you did not say, 65 I assume? Look at their catalog closely and you may find a shape that looks closer to your original foam.
I bought mine thru summit racing. was the cheapest at the time, and I just bought one for the drivers side. I had previously had custom seat covers built, and did the install my self. the foam fit the 68 barracuda bucket perfect, but I didn`t think about getting the silver stripes in my seat covers lined up, is a hair off. oh well, I do better on the other one, it`s needing it now.

for $360 (memory lapse, $180 X 2) I got both seats rebuilt/reupholstered! AND they did up the bun...not stock, but looks better as the pleats are more tuck and roll instead of just embossed. They are a little more square too on the corners but I was very happy with them. Im lucky to have MANY skilled "imported" craftsmen around here who are hungry for work...this was about 10 years ago so our mileage may vary.
3.jpg

Last edited:
does anyone recommend a brand or company of seat foams. I used a PUI seat foam and it did not fit correctly, it was way too big. before I lose another $200 I want to see if anyone has any experience using any other brand, thanks
I used PUI foam with Legendary covers on my 65 with no problem. I had it professionally done, but they didn't tell me there was any issues.

I used PUI foam with Legendary covers on my 65 with no problem. I had it professionally done, but they didn't tell me there was any issues.
Professional would mention something like welding a crack in a seat frame, 'cause he's gonna charge you extra for that. He wouldn't mention all these normal things they do in every job.

you all know they use a press on the buns to get them into the skins? Imagine a huge 600lb flat *** sitting on the bun and cover and then someone under its line is fastening the hog rings.

Yea i guess ill stop by my local upholstery shop and have them do it. Ive done a few seats in the past with little issues but this one got me. Thanks all

-
Back