Seat foam?

-
Bare bench bottom seat frame as the example.

3" burlap from bottom front edge to rear edge, also across from bottom left to bottom right.
Hog ring on ends only.

Then I wrapped it in the full burlap.
Then I hog ringed a skinny piece of thickish felt around the upper edge, this keeps the edge of the metal seat frame from wearing through the cover.
Then the foam on the top, only.
Then the muslin, then the cover.

Don't over do it with foam, just enough, the covers, especially if new, have some cushion in them, although a small amount.

If your original foam has the small wire embedded in it, do what you can to keep it.

20221221_131851.jpg

Bare bench bottom seat frame as the example.

3" burlap from bottom front edge to rear edge, also across from bottom left to bottom right.
Hog ring on ends only.

Then I wrapped it in the full burlap.
Then I hog ringed a skinny piece of thickish felt around the upper edge, this keeps the edge of the metal seat frame from wearing through the cover.
Then the foam on the top, only.
Then the muslin, then the cover.

Don't over do it with foam, just enough, the covers, especially if new, have some cushion in them, although a small amount.

If your original foam has the small wire embedded in it, do what you can to keep it.

View attachment 1716039630
Thank You Sir! That's quite beautiful what you did right there! And the fact that stick shift too? that takes it right on over the top!
When you say it thickest piece of felt do you mean like 30# tar impregnated, roofing felt? Or is it Craft Felt that I can get @ JoAnns or Michael's or somewhere? Sorry to bother you, and Thank You for Your time!

Ironracer are you working on a bench or bucket seat?
Sir, front buckets. I've had them out of the car to redo the floor pans, and I found a a friend that actually happened to have the covers laying around so I'm honestly thinking about jumping on it,
But I honestly have no clue what the heck I'm doing

The molded foam for a bucket seat is Waaay more complex than the flat foam that is the mainstay of bench seats, even if the bench stuff needs to be sculpted a bit. I've always had bench cars, until this latest 70 Dart GT, and I would never even try to do my own foam for them.

Every time I see this title pop up I think it says "Sea Foam". lol

...and I agree with those who say repair it. A small replacement section will be fine. Just make sure to use some sort of foam compliant glue to attach it so it will not move around.

...and I agree with those who say repair it. A small replacement section will be fine. Just make sure to use some sort of foam compliant glue to attach it so it will not move around
Foam Compliant? Don't they only have that up in Yankee Town and way out to the far left? Heck, down here we only use that if we need a fire retardant

Foam Compliant? Don't they only have that up in Yankee Town and way out to the far left? Heck, down here we only use that if we need a fire retardant
I just mean something that won't eat up the foam. There's a LOT of glues out there that will.

I just mean something that won't eat up the foam. There's a LOT of glues out there that will.
Oh, I'll Bet! Even though the girl knows a whole bunch about arts and crafts hell I wouldn't even notice where to get the right phone to start with unless I went at the junkyard and started cutting it out of a spare seat out there... wait a minute now....Shhh.... I'm not even sure if that's the right way, I'd rather buy scrap new foam...

I would imagine something simple like Elmer's would do it fine.

The molded foam for a bucket seat is Waaay more complex than the flat foam that is the mainstay of bench seats, even if the bench stuff needs to be sculpted a bit. I've always had bench cars, until this latest 70 Dart GT, and I would never even try to do my own foam for them.
Ouch..... as Always, my Dreams are Crushed! Lol. Realism is always loved and appreciated! Now if I can figure out exactly why you felt that way, maybe we can dissect it, and I can try to butcher up my own stuff... hahaha!

I would imagine something simple like Elmer's would do it fine.
Right on! I mean, is that like a spray type glue( like that 3M stuff you can get at Home Depot ) or you talking about regular old Elmer's Carpenter glue? I prefer "Titebond" lol, that stuff is like Frank's Hot Sauce, Brother Rob!

Right on! I mean, is that like a spray type glue( like that 3M stuff you can get at Home Depot ) or you talking about regular old Elmer's Carpenter glue? I prefer "Titebond" lol, that stuff is like Frank's Hot Sauce, Brother Rob!
I would just use the plain old white Elmers.

Glad someone made this thread, i have a couple of questions.. i have my seats down to the frames/cleaned and painted (had to remove some rust... every inch of this damn car...) anyway.. no one makes stuff for 62's, i am just curious if there is a particular weight HF foam to use? 2" for the bottom and backs of seats?
Sadly my seats didn't have original covers, a friend of mine is a seamstress and will be making me new ones but we are arguing over the edges (bench seat) I swear they have piping, she says it's welting.. if anyone has a 62-65 bench laying around, could use some close ups of the edge around the front.

Sorry if this is derailing.. didn't wanna make a whole new post for this :)

......I'm in disarray with my new confuser

Not finding my "assemble" pictures, just pre-disassemble pictures for cover folds and hog ring locations and re-weld the loose "weld nuts" that broke free from the frames.
1674749815934.png

Anyway, as you position your covers, plan ahead. You'll want to line up the backs to the bottoms (green) and also the seat to seat (red) as best you can....

1674749351264.png

if anyone has a 62-65 bench laying around, could use some close ups of the edge around the front.
My original '62 Dart front bench, probably the only good pic I have of it.

20180921_213731.jpg

Original front bench in my '64 Fury, bottom.
Front and sides of the foam were actually molded, there is a slight edge on the top of the foam, as well as on the bottom that folds over the frame to the underside.
This was 1 piece of foam/cushion.

This is why I put the strip of felt around the edge of my '62 seat, as the foam was destroyed, and iirc this is common practice with new upholstery.

20180805_175759.jpg

20180805_181353.jpg

Original front bench in my '64 Fury, bottom.
Front and sides of the foam were actually molded, there is a slight edge on the top of the foam, as well as on the bottom that folds over the frame to the underside.
This was 1 piece of foam/cushion.

This is why I put the strip of felt around the edge of my '62 seat, as the foam was destroyed, and iirc this is common practice with new upholstery.

View attachment 1716039802
Thanks for posting that! on my 62's all the seats were just burlap/batting and i thought my front bottom was redone at some point as there is no burlap and the foam looked molded.. now i know

P.S. is there a way to firm up weak springs? or have to replace them?

-
Back