Seat latches for buckets out of a 4 door

-

DionR

Reaction score
Bought a couple of buckets out of a 4 door Valiant a while back and have been working on cleaning them up and getting them functional. Tracks were pretty sticky, and one was missing a roller guide, but I think I am past those hurdles.

The problem that caught me off guard is the latch. Because the factory locks the hinges so the seat wont fold forward, I expected that I would be able to rob the latches off a bench seat in a 2 door (shouldn't be any problem to find one of those), but when I did I found that the bench seat hinge is completely different. Started thinking I was going to have to buy a set of $400 A-Body buckets to get the latches for my $17 seats :) .

Looks like I might have found the latches I need for my buckets. Looked at latch at a show in Sandpoint a week or so ago and then found a similar latch on a '73 extended cab truck with a split bench seat. If you look at the pictures, the parts are the same length from hole to hook, and they have the necessary notches and such to make them function. The only thing missing is an arm that would stick out of trim covering the hinge to allow you to release it since the truck used a button up at the top of the seat. I don't think it will be an issue as I think it wont take anything more than a straight rod welded to the side of the latch.

So, if you have a set, or find a set, of buckets out of a 4 door, this should help you make them functional.

I will post more as I make progress.

Sorry about the first picture, didn't realize it was fuzzy until it was too late to take another one.

Seat_Latch001.jpg

Seat_Latch004.jpg

Epic fail. The key (inside the hole the latch pivots around) on the truck latch is in the wrong place.

Worst case scenario, cut the key off and leave the spring off. Means I would have to pull the latch back manually to get the seat to close. Or leave the latch off entirely, but then the passenger seat back would flop forward every time I stop.

Working on getting some laser cut with a different key location, and an arm to release the latch. Time will tell.

Really? That seems like it would be annoying, to me.

Yep, on early A buckets no latch so the passenger seatback falls forward on real quick stops. I suppose something could be rigged up but never investigated it.

Ok, don't have it all assemblied yet, but here is a progress report.

From left to right are the four that I've done so far. The metal one is the first, thought it would work but it doesn't close without an effort. The non-numbered paper mockup has the hook moved down about 1/16". The #3 mockup has the hook at the same location, but the tip is moved down a 1/32" to let the latch swing over the pin. #4 has the hook and tip both moved down 1/32".

Parts108.jpg

In the end, I think #3 is the best. It looks like #2 is the closest to factory, but leaves some slop. The best part is that the ones I already had laser cut can be modified to match #3, and work great.

Here's a couple with the modified latch.

Parts110.jpg

Parts111.jpg

Parts114.jpg

Here is the #2 attempt and a couple of pictures of a factory latch.

Parts113.jpg

Seattle10013.jpg

Seattle10014.jpg

Wow! You've put a lot of thought into this project. Looks like it's turning out great. I've seen a few of those 4 door buckets. It sure would be nice to be able to use them in a 2 door. I've also seen some work vans that had the fixed buckets in them.
Dallas

I've seen a few of those 4 door buckets. It sure would be nice to be able to use them in a 2 door. I've also seen some work vans that had the fixed buckets in them.
Dallas

I have 1.5 extra sets if someone has a set of seats they need to make work. You would still need the spring, but that seems a lot easier to find (the latch seems to be A-Body specific, don't know if the spring is yet). Time will tell.

Well, got it all together.

First picture shows what the seat came with originally on the left, and the new parts on the right.

Works pretty well. I see now that I should have pulled the notch for the spring around to match the new location of the notch in the center. Because I didn't the spring is pretty tight, time will tell how long it last. I will probably go back to my layout and fix it, but for now it works.

Parts115.jpg

Parts116.jpg

Parts120.jpg

Parts118.jpg

Parts117.jpg

I am interested in a set of the seat latch conversion pieces ,for the fixed 4 door buckets
shipped to 93907
thanks

Just a note about the early 2 door buckets with no latch... Where the seat pivots should be a spacer that is a combination of rubber and steel like a motor support. In some cases the through bolt can be tightened to snug up the seat back and stop its moving. If the part is worn out or missing, I think Year One is where I bought them.
Those 67 and later rallye dash bezels that have the right lower corner cracked were cracked by the passengers seat back hitting there when someone entered/exited the back seat.

Excellent.

I think you could market these.

Thank you for contributing to more useable parts availabilty.

Now I'll be keeping a sharper eye on 4D and truck/van seats.

I saw a ramcharger the other day, and the seat backs look identical, but the bottoms were taller. Worst case is that the mint covers should work, as they had more material at the bottom.

I am interested in a set of the seat latch conversion pieces ,for the fixed 4 door buckets
shipped to 93907
thanks

I will have to see what it will cost to get more made, I don't have any sets left. Let me get back to you next week.

Excellent.

I think you could market these.

Thank you for contributing to more useable parts availabilty.

Never had much luck marketing anything. I needed some and found no options so I made my own. If I can help someone else out in the same situation, I'm glad to be able to.

Nice thing is, it was just a fair amount of leg work. It's not like I had to have a $5000 die made to punch these out. Cost is pretty minimal compared to some of the stuff I've seen guys do.

shipped to 93907
thanks

Ok, finally got a quote back to get more made.

Figure about $30 for a set of plates. No springs or anything else.

Let me know if you still want a set. I will have to get them cut which could take a week.

I'd be interested in a set. I was planning to do what you did by trial and error engineering with tag-board templates.

I have a '74 high-back bench from a 4dr I want to put in my '70 2dr. This is the piece it has holding the back upright.

seat02.jpg

Here is the seat and the trim piece is like yours:

seat03.jpg

Here is a photo from a '74 brochure and they show that the trim piece has a slot cut for the lever which is mounted on the side of the latch.

seatlatchdart.jpg

The set-up you have would be easier to adapt without having to cut that circular slot. I know yours is for a bucket but it looks like it would work. From my photos does it look like the shafts on the seat bottom and back are in the same place as on your bucket?

The thing I don't have is the spring. My current bench seat has a different spring set-up all together. It has a tension spring going from point A to point B where the style you have is more of a clock spring.

Got a photo from another member and this is what I need. Completely different design. On mine the latch stays stationary on the seat bottom where on yours it moves up with the seat.

fbDSC02672.jpg

I'll use this image to make what I need for my application. How did you get those cut? That's really nice. Any machine shop be able to cut those?

Sorry about the delay.

I wouldn't work at getting any made, if I were you. They are easy to find, even the later F-Bodies used the same latch. Just find a two door anything and grab the latches off the seat. Pretty sure even the buckets used that latch on the F-Bodies.

Little trick, don't try to get the chrome knob off the lever, just remove the screw and move the cover to one side so you can get the snap ring off. Never been able to get the knob off without ruining the latch.

I've tried. We have very few Mopars in this area. The only wrecking yard with any possibility will not sell parts off seats. He will only sell the entire seat for $75. I just came from there again. I'll start cutting and fitting and will come up with something.

I will see what I can find this weekend. I assume you would prefer white ones?

Going to resurrect this thread and re-post the pictures that I still have and then update the thread after that. Pointed someone to this thread so I figured maybe it had enough worth to make sure the images aren't lost due to the Photobucket fiasco.

Wish I could just edit the original posts to swap out the pictures and remove the links.

Here are the layouts and then the modified latch on the seat:

Parts 108.jpg

Parts 110.jpg

Parts 111.jpg

Parts 114.jpg

Here is the #2 attempt and a couple of pictures of a factory latch.

Parts 113.jpg

Seattle10 013.jpg

Seattle10 014.jpg

Post #9

First picture shows what the seat came with originally on the left, and the new parts on the right.

Works pretty well. I see now that I should have pulled the notch for the spring around to match the new location of the notch in the center. Because I didn't the spring is pretty tight, time will tell how long it last. I will probably go back to my layout and fix it, but for now it works.

Parts 115.jpg

Parts 116.jpg

Parts 120.jpg

Parts 118.jpg

Parts 117.jpg

The update on this is due to a request for a set of these latches. So I revised my design to move the latch hook around so the spring isn't so tight and had a batch of 12 latches cut. It was the same price for 4 or 12, so I figured I might as well get as many cut as I could.

20230524_173509.jpg

I cleaned up a pair and painted them black for my seats.

20230526_204437.jpg

They don't look any different than before so I see no reason to post new install pictures.

The guy asking for a set even found a couple of places to buy the springs:

The second link shows a set of latches, but just visually comparing them it doesn't look like the latch will work. FYI.

I have to say, the revised set works much better than the first design. Spring seems much more happy and the seat latches now without having to open the latch first.

-
Back