Seat Track Lube?

-

dusterdemon

Reaction score
I am getting ready to reassemble my 71 seat tracks, and I was wondering what would be a good grease to use on them, something that will hold up to the interior temps on a hot day and not run all over my carpet. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Warren

If there is enough heat under your seat to melt grease, call the fire dept. LOL
You can use white lithium or basic bearing grease but use it sparingly.
Why ? Its not the lack of grease that causes binding but the dirt and sand that will collect in the grease. If you've taken the tracks completely apart for renew,
This is no doubt what you found. No more than a seat is moved a dry lube like graphite powder would serve the purpose.
Now are they all the same ? No. Earlier seat tracks had steel roller cages. At some year model those cages were changed to plastic. Most common failure of the plastic cage was at left front corner. If you have broken plastic cages or not they can all be replaced with the steel cages ( same shape and size ) if someone here has them.

What's the trick to getting them apart?

Just took a set apart today to replace a broken plastic cage. Would have used lithium grease, but couldn't find it LOL. Ended up using a tiny bit of multi-purpose grease.......

What's the trick to getting them apart?

The early 70ish tracks require bending of the end of the track frame to disassemble them. Unless someone know a better way....:scratch:

The 73ish tracks with the plastic bearing cages just need the bolts removed.

For some of them, only those bolts that attach them to the seat keeps the cage inside.
I recall one set ( might have been early A ) There was something more preventing one of it roller cage from exiting one end. A dimple in the center prevented both from exiting same end. I turned that one over and defeated that dimple with a punch and hammer. I may have even drilled a hole for access to that dimple. Its been too many years. I know both came out the same end and I had to reset the dimple when I put them back together.

-
Back