See if you can tell what is wrong with the rear suspension on this Dart!!!!!!

-

duster360

Reaction score
Click on link to see video and go to the 5:10 time. That is where they start showing the rear suspension. See if you can tell what is wrong. Beautiful car otherwise.
HINT: Look at the mounting points of the leaf springs front and rear.

Last edited:
“Suregrip, it means it’s posi guys”. Cooooool......

Jake

I agree the band aid coil overs shouldn't be there.... just put some new springs in it. Oh, and sure grip means it is a sure grip.....

Anyone notice in the interior shot the top on the door is red, but the adjoining panel above the rear door panel is black?

I wouldnt buy a lawnmower from that guy.....

I agree the band aid coil overs shouldn't be there.... just put some new springs in it. Oh, and sure grip means it is a sure grip.....

Anyone notice in the interior shot the top on the door is red, but the adjoining panel above the rear door panel is black?

I wouldnt buy a lawnmower from that guy.....
Yep the door paint is glaring all right....

Looks like the rear shackles are hung right off the frame rails, yet the fronts are not moved in. The rear mounts look to be moved to the inside corners of the frame rails.
the door was bugging me out too, because I contemplated painting just the top of my door AND the adjoining rear panel. Still might though, but certainly not the whole door

Looks like the rear shackles are hung right off the frame rails, yet the fronts are not moved in. The rear mounts look to be moved to the inside corners of the frame rails.
Exactly. The front of the springs are in the stock location and the rears are moved inboard like a 3" relocation. Look at the springs and you can tell they are twisted at an angle front to rear.

Exactly. The front of the springs are in the stock location and the rears are moved inboard like a 3" relocation. Look at the springs and you can tell they are twisted at an angle front to rear.
That is weird looking,

hard to see them clear in the pic but the rear shackles look to be in the right position.. can see the bolt on bracket just barley when it catches the light

most springs aren't perfectly parallel though, but I don't know how much angle will be absorbed by the front bushing before binding. I would thing the front mount point should (would) be designed with the appropriate angle built in if you were going to run that much angle.
Circle track cars run different angles on rear springs to help bite coming off the corners.
Though I don't think that was the intent here.

AbodyJoe, I think you're right upon re-watching,

Last edited:
There is supposed to be a boxed in bracket to the outside of the frame that it attaches to, like in the pic below.

7484757-GrableDartRearSusp2.jpg

Nope. On the drivers side the box would be to the outside. There is no boxed in area. From that angle you should not be able to see the top portion of the shackles.

Nope. On the drivers side the box would be to the outside. There is no boxed in area. From that angle you should not be able to see the top portion of the shackles.

You can see barley see it but the spring is on right. Can only get a glimpse at one point in the video what the light catches it just right. All that undercoat and black paint makes it hard to see. That spring is outside the frame like it should be. Looks twister probably because it’s fully dropped.

You can see barley see it but the spring is on right. Can only get a glimpse at one point in the video what the light catches it just right. All that undercoat and black paint makes it hard to see. That spring is outside the frame like it should be. Looks twister probably because it’s fully dropped.
Well, you may be right Joe. Like you said, it is so dark in there, but I believe I caught a glimpse of it just for a split second myself.

make the video full screen pause it at the 5:17 mark.. the box is there and the springs are mounted properly,, problem is the lighting makes it real hard to see...

I can definitely see it now. Was just an optical illusion in the video to me. :BangHead:

-
Back