Seed truck??

-
Passange side top pic # 103, I believe, I have that stainless steel mirror. Maybe a pair.
See what you can get one for. I am guessing shipping from here at about $10.00.
it's Sunday and the streets are just a sheet of ice and people are not used to this stuff around here. The hood of the truck is literally snowed in iced over and probably can't even get it open. I'm a little locked in today to get anything done. I sure appreciate the offer and could possibly take you up on it. Let's get under that rocker cover and see what's going on first. if the mirror wasn't so messed up itself I would even attempt a poor man rattle can on both White. But the actual mirror itself is pretty Shot.

Get to cleaning.
I would repaint the rims with the tires still on tho.
Show a picture of the mirror you need I probably have one or two or three.
Also with did you think of my price list? And asking price? For the whole thing...

My 2 cents. For where I live anyway.
A running driving big block truck:
Running big block with trans = easy $1000 all day long
Decent body and rolling chassis (Dana 60?) = can not be less than $500, no way.
If it drives and stops, the tires are decent, the glass is good, in other words, will pass inspection, your price of $1800 would be a good deal without painting the rims etc.
It is a running vehicle. Besides that, it is a truck, besides that, it is an early Dodge truck. A Dodge truck that doesn't have a ton of rust.
My 2 cents........

I sold the one that I posted earlier, although it was a big block 1/2 ton. I asked $3500. I got a trade. I did far better than $3500.

My 2 cents. For where I live anyway.
A running driving big block truck:
Running big block with trans = easy $1000 all day long
Decent body and rolling chassis (Dana 60?) = can not be less than $500, no way.
If it drives and stops, the tires are decent, the glass is good, in other words, will pass inspection, your price of $1800 would be a good deal without painting the rims etc.
It is a running vehicle. Besides that, it is a truck, besides that, it is an early Dodge truck. A Dodge truck that doesn't have a ton of rust.
My 2 cents........

I sold the one that I posted earlier, although it was a big block 1/2 ton. I asked $3500. I got a trade. I did far better than $3500.
When you say inspection, I'm sure where you live there is some kind of safety inspection of some sort? Here of course it's all about the smog. the worst case scenario you could be in a big city limit in Oregon and have to Pass DEQ. But it being 74 and older doesn't require that. Even though it doesn't have tags all you got to do is go to the DMV and buy them. I'm hoping to Let It Go relatively cheap with a decent little profit and just making it quick. It's one of the big things. I figured at 1, 800 there was still quite a bit of meat left on the bone if someone was wanting to take it to the next level for a flip or at least not be over their head into it as a start. I sure appreciate your time and entering this for me as I really don't want to be a dreamer and trying to make some ultimate profit nor do I want to take anybody for a ride metaphorically speaking.

So I looked up the VIN code and definitely all things look to drive correctly. Except for the first two digits D2? And I think the 7th of Digit where the plant it's supposed to be made as a number 5? Of course the plant should be a letter?

Also I talked to the one person I know who knows these Big Blocks the best around here in my opinion. Major local drag racer that is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Suggested warming it up and pouring in a quart of transmission fluid to maybe loosen up the lifters? Of course once I can get the ice and stuff off the hood in the next couple days I'd like to get that valve cover off for a look-see before I do anything..

The tires are grossly oversized for the truck and probably 40% tread maybe at the best. Only really good thing they have going for them as they do hold air, they do have some tread, and they all match.

Yes, we have a safety inspection to pass in order to get insurance. Good brakes, tires, glass, mechanical etc.
Yes when I drove it around the block of course I could feel the flat tires but the power steering seem to work well and the brakes gave me no issue. Again it wasn't a very long drive or anyting. The windshield is an amazing condition for its age except for what looks like a very fixable chip right about where my left eye looks out on the driver side! Lol

Also I talked to the one person I know who knows these Big Blocks the best around here in my opinion. Major local drag racer that is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Suggested warming it up and pouring in a quart of transmission fluid to maybe loosen up the lifters? Of course once I can get the ice and stuff off the hood in the next couple days I'd like to get that valve cover off for a look-see before I do anything..

mystery oil does a great job cleaning the inside of the engine too. However, it works best if driven for a couple hundred miles in the oil. This doesn't sound like that is in your plans.

• I suggest draining the oil (LEAVE the Filter ON). Put 1 gallon of diesel fuel in it. Start it and let it idle for 20 seconds. Drain, and let it drain to the last drop removing filter too. Add new oil/filter.

mystery oil does a great job cleaning the inside of the engine too. However, it works best if driven for a couple hundred miles in the oil. This doesn't sound like that is in your plans.

• I suggest draining the oil (LEAVE the Filter ON). Put 1 gallon of diesel fuel in it. Start it and let it idle for 20 seconds. Drain, and let it drain to the last drop removing filter too. Add new oil/filter.
20 seconds or 20 minutes?

20 seconds or 20 minutes?
I've always done seconds. Most engine cleaners on the shelf are a form of diesel cleaner. Diesel is a cleaner and a lubricant. By leaving the oil filter on it, you'll have some oil in it as well.

Why is Jab disagreeing with you?

Why is Jab disagreeing with you?
LOL... I don't know. Some are real "anti" against the diesel fuel flush. I've never had an issue doing it. I only do it to internally gunked engines, and engines with sticky lifters. That diesel will come out so black you won't believe it. I have mystery oil right now in the '85 Ramcharger because it sat a ton, and had a noisy lifter. After about 300 miles, I haven't heard that lifter no time, not even on a cold start on a cold day.

In your case, you won't be driving enough to get the mystery to work, that's why I suggested the diesel flush.

After you check under the valve cover pour a quart of tranny fluid in it and drive it around the block a few times. Then change it.
Btw I would check under both valve covers.
Don't worry about the money you will more than get it back.

After you check under the valve cover pour a quart of tranny fluid in it and drive it around the block a few times. Then change it.
correct. I wouldn't let any way you decide to clean it keep you from pulling the valve covers.... just incase a push rod is through the rocker

I'm definitely worried about the money I got another 40 bucks or so and that's going to be right at my limit. 500 is all I'll put into this I'll do a lot of elbow grease but....
I've got extra quarts of transmission fluid and I'm thinking under $20 for filter and oil at Wally World. I'm hoping to get the mirror for 10 bucks and a couple of rattle cans of paint for the LOL for the other 10. If I have to buy a push rod or a rocker it'll be just singular. Those valve cover gaskets are going to get changed by someone else unless they completely break apart which I know on the big block is extremely possible LOL and that might even get in RTV repair. if I was going to fall in love with it this would all be a completely different story. I don't want to try and sink 2500 into it and make it a more purposeful truck LOL

As I said earlier if you need it, I have rockers and push rods and mirrors to help you out, for free, just cover the shipping.

Okay this is the game plan that's going through my head and while I had a little time to sit back and think. This is obviously just the plan A and something to go on. Run down by a jug of cheap oil 1040 likely at Wally World and a filter. Pull up valve cover and see what's making the noise and try and fix it. pull the bench seat out and pull the carpet up to reveal the painted floor. Clean clean clean the inside clean clean clean the motor compartment and even scrub the bed out a little bit more. Replace that driver's mirror. I assume it's just a cheap$8 trailer mirror. Take the rims off wire wheel them and repaint them white and SOS the Chrome caps. Maybe scrub and clean the rear bumper and repaint it silver. Put air in the tires clean everything up extremely well. Advertise for $1, 800. Or possible parting out as follows running engine 100% complete$700 firm transmission works fine 500 cab with title 700 and an optional floor hump for a power wagon$100 if the cab is purchased first. And $500 for a near-perfect bed. I figure at $1, 800 just leaves someone a little meat on the bone to make a little profit or be able to part it out and still get most of their money back and save a part that they wanted for themselves.
This is me thinking out loud looking for opinions on any flaws in my plan? Thank you...
Seems reasonable. But I wouldn’t wait to do all the work before listing it. Someone might just grab it now for the price you want. Just the more you do as you go, the firmer you stay on the asking price.

As I said earlier if you need it, I have rockers and push rods and mirrors to help you out, for free, just cover the shipping.
You're awesome jab! I sure appreciate that! I feel like they're swinging out there a little bit and I don't want to let especially my wife down. I gave her confidents I'll do good on this and I don't like to disappoint her. Again we took money out of our tax fun and I can't play around. I got it because I thought it was a good deal and I know my way around these vehicles pretty well. In a little time I had that one nice or kind of nice day I was able to get it running driving and cleaned up. I'm still almost a little sore from the other night cuz I couldn't stop scrubbing it was after dark and all but I was on a mission. Again I appreciate it!

I have an oil pan and pump with pickup that someone put diesel fuel or kerosene in.
It’s off the dumpster 318 I am putting together right now, the top end is clean as can be, but the bottom of the oil pan was sludged so thick that the oil would not drain out.
A 1/4 quart of atf will quiet the lifters and not make a sludge mess.
This thing stunk of diesel when I took the intake off.

-
Back