Sell tool idea?

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Last night while working on the Duster I came across a problem. Going through my tool box I came across a woodworking tool that I have. Tested it for the project and it worked. It wasn't perfect, but with a little tweaking, it would have been and this tool would have a place in a lot of tool boxes. It's not a Cresent wrench, but I believe it would be very useful to auto mechanics and folks like us.

So, have any of you sold a tool idea? If you have I would like to talk with you.
Would I contact the current manufacturer and suggest changes?
What about a company like Sears that offers some type of reward for tool ideas?
How would I determine what a fair value might even be?
I don't have the resources to order a million copies and try to market it myself.

This is the third good idea that I have come up with. I've never acted on the other two, and maybe it's time. Last nights idea is very doable and I would really like to pursue it.
Thanks,
C

Hey there C. You can contact Lisle Corp. in Clarinda, Iowa. http://www.lislecorp.com/ Click on idea program in the upper right. They buy tool ideas. If they produce your tool you get a royalty check every month for a $ percentage of the amount of tools that were sold. I have a customer that designed a strut nut tool that they produced and he received monthly checks for many years. Good luck! toolmanmike

Thanks Toolman, I will check them out.
C

Not to rain on your hopes of a parade, but as old as these cars are, chances are any needed tools have already been invented, built, and sold.

Exactly what is this tool and what did you use it for?

-
Back