Selling parts

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Lets say I have an item listed for sell in the classifieds. I get a questions on the item from member A, then member B says they will buy it. At this point who should I sell to?

I'm thinking the first guy to say they will buy or indicates they are interested in buying my parts gets the part. If your interested in buying a part in a classified that should be said first then ask the questions before sending money.

Right or Wrong?

Slow day at work. lol...

I would give the courtesy of answering questions. Most items sell no matter what, so if the first one fails move on.

some time people just ask questions just to ask but have no intention of buying

In my opinion, Member A gets first crack at it. Give him/her reasonable time to respond to your answer to his question. I would say a reasonable amt of time would be 2-3 days to respond. I try to ask for potential buyers/sellers 1st pm to get as much info, shipping addy, email addy etc so it doesnt take 10 pms or emails to make a deal. Just my opinion though....

In my opinion, Member A gets first crack at it. Give him/her reasonable time to respond to your answer to his question. I would say a reasonable amt of time would be 2-3 days to respond. I try to ask for potential buyers/sellers 1st pm to get as much info, shipping addy, email addy etc so it doesnt take 10 pms or emails to make a deal. Just my opinion though....

I would do it like he says above. Just tell PM'er #2 that there is one person in line before him and if it falls through, he is next in line. I have been 2nd or third in line and still got the parts. Patience....

They are your parts,you can sell them to anyone you want,for whatever you want.But common courtesy is first come-first served.Buyers need to understand that if you are undecided-step back and let someone else make a choice.Lot of guy's will try to hold a spot in line hopeing for a drop in price.

krazykuda has the right idea if you want to keep a good selling reputation.

-RPM

some time people just ask questions just to ask but have no intention of buying

I often ask questions before I buy, and I expect to establish "my place in line." It won't take 24hrs after the answer comes back to me, I'll say yay or nay.

There's been a couple of people on here who did NOT extend that courtesy. I won't be buying anything else from them, so it's their loss.

X3 on KK's suggestion. Simply message both members... tell member "A" that they are first in line and there is another interested party and establish a timeline of first refusal, then message member "B" and tell him that he is second in line and that a timeline for first refusal has been established with member "A", and if he doesn't claim it by your deadline offer it to member "B" or C,D,and E by that point!!! It's the only way to do it right IMO, Geof

its all about communication , everyone is different & people can be difficult to deal with , seal the deal & work out the details thru pm's , if it doesnt work out then at least the drama is behind the scenes .

i would pm person 1 and ask them are they still inter. in the parts cause i have person 2 ready to buy....not rushing but at the same time dont want to be stuck with the part after person 1 comes around 2/3 days later and say hey i dont need it or found it cheaper ,or local...pm is your friend...mike

what about when someone ask will you take this and you say i will take this ..then ok let me know on shipping and never hear back from them?????i try to pm people back and see 1 way or the other ..mike :bom:

I occasionally list the stuff for sale both here and at other sites I frequent. I try to keep track of who is 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc in line by the time a reply (or PM) is posted here or at the other sites. So far so good - knock on wood.

It,s best when placing an ad to describe in detail the condition,age,useage of the said part.Pics really help when describing a part,this way there,s less questions to answer.Remember to add Location,if you,ll ship the parts or pick up only.Also state how you,d like to be paid(PayPal,M.O,Postal cheque,Cash)If the first person interested doesn,t strike a deal,move to the next interested.Good Luck.:D

I don't know I mostly go by the first guy with money in my hand gets the part. Of course there are exceptions, I'm not unreasonable. But it sucks to lose a sale to a legit buyer when you might have a window shopper wasting your time. Guess the problem is you never really know the outcome till you wait for someone that doesn't show up or come through.

X3 on KK's suggestion. Simply message both members... tell member "A" that they are first in line and there is another interested party and establish a timeline of first refusal, then message member "B" and tell him that he is second in line and that a timeline for first refusal has been established with member "A", and if he doesn't claim it by your deadline offer it to member "B" or C,D,and E by that point!!! It's the only way to do it right IMO, Geof
Way to many letters......I am so confused....:happy6::happy6:

I agree it's good form to give the first person who approaches you about it the first crack at buying it. You can give them a reasonable deadline by which time you will offer it to the next person. However other factors come into play sometimes and it's the seller's perogative. JMO

I've held items in the past for those that said they wanted it and the money was on the way or they will be out to pick it up. None of the above happened. The first guy with the cabbage gets the slaw. After all this world is going GREEN.
Small Block

I would do it like he says above. Just tell PM'er #2 that there is one person in line before him and if it falls through, he is next in line. I have been 2nd or third in line and still got the parts. Patience....

Wish it worked like this but it doesnt!.

I've held items in the past for those that said they wanted it and the money was on the way or they will be out to pick it up. None of the above happened. The first guy with the cabbage gets the slaw. After all this world is going GREEN.
Small Block

Seems this is what we have become. The economy has turned us into Cutthroat raiders of the lost ark. Some here show true class and tell the seller to put them next in line as they dont want to disrespect another member.

Wish it worked like this but it doesnt!.

It does sometimes. I have told people to hold parts for me while I can plan a road trip to pick them up. In a few cases other members tried to buy the parts out from under me, even offering more money than the original poster was asking. Lucky for me the sellers had some integrity and held the parts for me. I really appreciated the sellers doing that. I will send them a deposit in the mean time for them to hold for me if they require to hold the parts. Some guys refuse and still hold the parts for me.

I have also made a point to hold to my word. If I tell someone that I want the parts, I get the money orders out usually the next day sometimes two. Ask any of the sellers that I have done business multiple times. Once I tell them that I'll take it, they usually have a money order in their hands within 2-3 postal business days. This way the sellers trust me and do not sell the parts out from under me. Check out my feedback score - over 40 and all positive.

It does sometimes. I have told people to hold parts for me while I can plan a road trip to pick them up. In a few cases other members tried to buy the parts out from under me, even offering more money than the original poster was asking. Lucky for me the sellers had some integrity and held the parts for me. I really appreciated the sellers doing that. I will send them a deposit in the mean time for them to hold for me if they require to hold the parts. Some guys refuse and still hold the parts for me.

I have also made a point to hold to my word. If I tell someone that I want the parts, I get the money orders out usually the next day sometimes two. Ask any of the sellers that I have done business multiple times. Once I tell them that I'll take it, they usually have a money order in their hands within 2-3 postal business days. This way the sellers trust me and do not sell the parts out from under me. Check out my feedback score - over 40 and all positive.
I have had people pm sellers and buy stuff I was interested in and had asked for shipping cost on before I even had a chance to respond.

-
Back