Sending Unit Float Question

-

MoparDart68

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a '68 Dart 270. For quite a while now the fuel gauge has always read about E, even with over half a tank of gas. Now, I've taken the sending unit out to see what the problem is. I immediately noticed some fluid inside the plastic float, I assume it's gasoline. Is that normal? I don't understand how fluid could be in there to begin with, I didn't see or feel any leaks. The unit works correctly when moving the rod up and down (i.e. the gas gauge goes to Full). So, before I proceed any further, I would like to know if fluid inside the float is normal or not. Thanks

you need a new float or whole unit if there no float abilable are take your and seal it up/ like a old carb. float just got a hole in it.

Thanks, Demon. I kind of figured fluid in the float is bad, but I just wasn't sure how it got in there in the first place. No visible leaks along the seam. Is the plastic somehow porous, perhaps? I haven't been able to find just a float by itself from a local auto shop, only the entire sending unit. I'll check online. If i do decide to reseal the existing float, I will have to poke a hole in it, then drain the fluid and reseal it. Now, what could I use to seal the hole?

While the float is partially submerged the fuel in or subsequent air bubble out can take a very very long time. Lead weight the float and sink it in deep water. You will create a pressure differential and the transfer will happen faster. Hope that makes sense.
I would definately replace the entire assembly rather than purchase a new float and gasket/seal ring. Happy moparing

Even the brass floats get leaks, usually a little pinhole. When you take it out and see a wet spot that remains. For my 65 Dart, I bought a new stainless steel sender on ebay for ~$45. It has a 3/8"D outlet and a 1/4"D return. Made in Taiwan. I need a return for my EFI, though 5/16"D would be better.

Float: Ford P/N COAZ-9202-B
Strainer "sock": GM P/N 5651 705
Gasket: Chrysler P/N 6031 475
Sender grounding clip: Chrysler P/N 2258 862

Thanks for the advice all. Yes, ideally I should replace the entire sending unit. However, this is not up to me. My Dad likes to play Mr. fix it and he's hoping my problem is only with the resistance rod. He thinks bending it near the elbow will help with my fuel level misreporting. However, I think it's either the float that is bad, or the resistance rod is not moving up and down smoothly. Could that cause the rod to not report the fuel level correctly?
Nevertheless, I have a feeling after working on it tomorrow, he will side with me and buy a new one. You see, I only agreed to take over the car if he fixed the fuel gauge problem. That was the deal we made before signing over the pink slip (college graduation gift). I'll post some pictures in the coming weeks if you guys are interested. Thanks again.

-
Back