sending unit ground strap

-

moparfanatic56

Reaction score
I am sure there has been questions on this before but, I bought the 3 3/4 in ground strap but it is not long enough to attach from the fuel line to the sending unit. My question is will it do the job if I attach it to the return line and the return line port on the sending unit?

Well, you want to ground the sending unit, and it has a rubber gasket between it and the tank. You can ground the sender in other ways, but why won't the ground strap reach?

The lock ring is metal to metal to the sender. The lock ring is also metal to metal to the tank so if the tank is grounded the sender is grounded.

You might be able to find a section OUTSIDE the pinch weld to attach a ground wire to the chassis.

Or just get the longer strap and call it a day.

Well, you want to ground the sending unit, and it has a rubber gasket between it and the tank. You can ground the sender in other ways, but why won't the ground strap reach?
Well for some odd reason the gap between the fuel line a sending unit tube was very wide and this was with a new fuel line from inline tube.

Obviously the right way is best if it makes you feel better, but you could literally hose clamp a wire to the sender and ground it to the body or metal line either one.

As already mentioned there’s a dang good chance the sender is already grounded via the straps and or trunk floor, but I wouldn’t trust it to stay that way myself.

Sorry, I was wrong on the grounding. Inline tubes lines are not always correct. I have had 2 instances where the line was wrong, but by that time, it was mine. That is probably why your strap doesn't fit.

All the strap does is bring ground from the fuel line to the sender unit and tank. Now how well is your fuel line grounded to the frame??? 9 times out of 10 your fuel tank is grounded just fine to the body via the retainer straps. Get your Ohm meter out. Check the reading from frame to sender face... it's probably already zero.

As already mentioned there’s a dang good chance the sender is already grounded via the straps and or trunk floor, but I wouldn’t trust it to stay that way myself.
I wouldn't trust it, either. My cars all have rubber strips between the straps and the tank, and the "tarpaper" mat between the tank and the trunk floor.
The better your ground, the more reliable your fuel gauge will be. There's usually a pretty good lip on the corner of the tank pinchweld that you can screw a ground strap from the tank to the body or frame rail if all else fails.

-
Back