Sending unit leak - gasket question

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Hey, my tank is new, and the sending unit is new, and it's leaking at the sending unit. I used the neoprene gasket and lock ring provided. I read in another thread that the original lock rings are thicker than the new ones, and to use them. I still have the old locking ring, so I'll try changing it over.

My question is about the gasket. Should I be using the old rubber gasket? Or the new neoprene one? I also have a sheet of gasket which I can cut out to make my own, although it's pretty thin. I could use a gasoline resistant RTV to bond 2 together to thicken it up, but that sounds like a bit of a hack job.

Thoughts?

I would just try the the old lock ring with the new gasket. Nothing on the gasket, that should take care of it.

last year for the woodward cruise I had to replace the gas tank on my friends challenger AND his charger. i ended up using (after wire brushing and cleaning up) the old sealing/locking ring because the new ones are just too thing to seal correctly. no sealant required. if you wanted to bend your tank locking tangs you MIGHT be able to get the new ring to work but I would not try it. no leaks after using the old locking rings and he said it hasn't leaked or left spots on his new garage floor.:D

I bent locking tabs on mine it worked great 3 years now no leaks.

I just replaced my sending unit also. I had the same problem at first. Seems the newer ring is thinner and slightly smaller in diameter as well. still locks it in place just needs to be centered. When I first got mine in and it leaked I notice it was slitghly off center and not sealing on one side. I was able to tap it over and seal it up for now. But I did save the old ring for the same reason if it is to move for some reason. I have yet to road test mine.

Figured it out, the edges of the old locking ring are bent up, creating a pressure on the gasket when you tap it into place. The new locking ring is flat, so it doesn't really seal anything. I used the old locking ring with the new gasket, and no more leak.

Gas gauge still doesn't work though.. New tank, sending unit, lines, ground strap, and voltage regulator. Damn gauge still doesn't work.

Gas gauge still doesn't work though.. New tank, sending unit, lines, ground strap, and voltage regulator. Damn gauge still doesn't work.
Many posts on this. If you read the correct resistance for the current fuel level, looking back into the gage from the "body connector" (behind left kick panel), then the gage is doing its job.

Many posts on this. If you read the correct resistance for the current fuel level, looking back into the gage from the "body connector" (behind left kick panel), then the gage is doing its job.

Thanks Bill, I've done a lot of searching, but there are almost so many threads on it, its hard to find the right one.

Any idea what the resistance for a full tank should be?

I just replaced my sending unit also. I had the same problem at first. Seems the newer ring is thinner and slightly smaller in diameter as well. still locks it in place just needs to be centered. When I first got mine in and it leaked I notice it was slitghly off center and not sealing on one side. I was able to tap it over and seal it up for now. But I did save the old ring for the same reason if it is to move for some reason. I have yet to road test mine.

I finally made it out to the gas station to fill mine up. Once It reached the level on the sending unit it started leaking. Steady drip, So I ran start home. Guess Im going to have to try the old locking ring and see if that will do the tick.

I finally made it out to the gas station to fill mine up. Once It reached the level on the sending unit it started leaking. Steady drip, So I ran start home. Guess Im going to have to try the old locking ring and see if that will do the tick.

Check the thickness of the lock rings. If the old one is thicker try that one. Another way that may work is to use two of the rubber "O" shaped gaskets stacked on each other. Maybe use some "Gaskacinch" from edelbrock and Mancini Racing to "glue" the two gaskets together.

But if the original sending unit lock ring works, stick with that.

-
Back