sending unit way off

-

rdb

Reaction score
It's all over the place even w a nearly full tank. I am guessing it is the sending unit, anyway. not the gauge itsself.

Some say old ones can have ther contacts, etc cleaned and be brought back .

Others say there are new replacements but they all suck and pretty inaccurate right from the git-go.

What say U?

Paint it blue, Rusty? Crystal ball?

2013-real-estate-crystal-ball-jpg.62962.jpg

Is this one of the wing tanks or one of the fuselage tanks?

Spirit_of_St_Louis-Cockpit-02.gif

Last edited:
Based on your comment, My first guess is fuel in the float.

Based on your comment, My first guess is fuel in the float.

Sounds like it don't it?
First thing I would try is to ground the wire for it at the sender and see if the gauge stays stable.
If it does I'd go after the sender.
If not I'd be looking for a loose connection or a bad spot in the wire.
Not finding a problem there ground the wire at the cluster.
Still wild, cluster tracer connection or plug connector.
Not that then the gauge itself.

All the other stuff is free just for the time, but the gauge usually not so much.

If its the original sending unit, the float may have been pierced cracked etc.. and is now full of fuel as stated above. it also has a little sock or filter that keeps any trash from being sucked up which deteriorates with time and you get to be s.o.l. than too. so best thing is to replace the sending unit. as you said, most sending units suck and yeah, found out the hard way because i bought one from i don't know who, its brand new and things already reading like crap. i think the bends are off to be honest. BUT, in the town next to mine is 'Atlas Chrysler Obsolete' they sell all the small hard to find miscellaneous items you can't find anywhere else, like stock number spark plug wires to glovebox boxes relays switches, you name it. their online website is moparmall.com they have sending units which will be everyones best hope in getting the correct one. take a look at the site and you'll see what i mean. that place is legit. good luck!

^^The unit they show on their website IS NOT OEM Chrysler^^ It is some sort of aftermarket unit

^^The unit they show on their website IS NOT OEM Chrysler^^ It is some sort of aftermarket unit

OP............if you expect help on here you need to step it up and give up some meaningful information. Anybody can sit here and guess.

What year make and model car are you working on?

What have you done for tests?

So far with your post, it could be anything anywhere in the car insofar as the system that operates the gauge(s)

'they have sending units which will be everyones best hope in getting the correct one'
"best hope"
'HOPE' its not a crappy china one is what i was getting at...

-
Back