Sensor compatibility

-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
I hope I'm not going over old ground - but I checked previous posts and couldn't find a direct answer to this:

I'd like to retain the use of my factory temp gauge (Std 73 A Body Gauge in the Gauge cluster)

Is it possible to fit an adapter to the sender boss in the 6.1 to run the old factory sender?

Or/

Will the old factory gauge run effectively off the 6.1 sender?

Cheers again for your replies.

A Bodies Only is making this project actually work for me at least..........:prayer:

Prettys sure you should be able to just get a reducer to convert the port sizes. Just look in the plumbing section at a hardware store and take the stock 6.1 sender and your old one with you. Off the top of my head I think the 6.1 port is a 3/8" NPT and the old sender is 1/8" NPT. You should be able to get a bushing that will reduce a 3/8 port to 1/8.

I have to think you would need both temp sensor for the computer and a correct sender for the gauge.

Yeah, I guess it does matter whether or not you're using EFI or carb. I put my original temp sender in the side of the block on one of the casting plugs. Seems to work okay.

Prettys sure you should be able to just get a reducer to convert the port sizes. Just look in the plumbing section at a hardware store and take the stock 6.1 sender and your old one with you. Off the top of my head I think the 6.1 port is a 3/8" NPT and the old sender is 1/8" NPT. You should be able to get a bushing that will reduce a 3/8 port to 1/8.

Ok thanks - so a simple adapter is all that's needed if I'm running carb induction.

I also have a question on the oil light.

I plan on running a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but will the gen 3 oil pressure switch activate the A body oil light - or is the Gen 3 sender designed for an electric gauge....not just a light?

It might be a double action light (pressure level and dummy light, one on each prong), but you'd have to check. You can always just put an old one on with an adapter similar to the water temp gauge. I just put a T off of the engine and have a mechanical gauge on one end and a dummy light switch on the other.

Sounds reasonable..When the motor finally gets to me i can start examing this stuff.

You have an IM btw Map63

-
Back