Serial Number Tag Adhesive

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I noticed one end of Vixen's serial number tag has come unstuck from the door jamb. What's a good adhesive to use that will hold it back in place? Would something like liquid nails work for that?

I’ve been using this stuff called E6000 for my adhesive needs. Comes in a little squeeze tube. I think most places like Walmart and Lowes have it

Factory used some sort of epoxy, I would replicate that and rivet it through the alignment holes.

3M 5952 Heavy Duty Mounting VHB double sided Tape.

I’ve been using this stuff called E6000 for my adhesive needs. Comes in a little squeeze tube. I think most places like Walmart and Lowes have it
I think I actually have a tube of that.

Liquid nails or some other strong adhesive is fine, but don't put any rivets in the holes.

Factory used some sort of epoxy
Factory spot welded it.

If you want to keep the factory appearance an adhesive would be the ticket.

Rosette pop rivets would be a good solution. Only priests would know it's not factory.

I noticed one end of Vixen's serial number tag has come unstuck from the door jamb. What's a good adhesive to use that will hold it back in place? Would something like liquid nails work for that?
What held it originally?

Spot welds. Many MTO's weren't happy with that years down the line so you'll find screws in many, Canada especially.
Really? I would never have guessed since I've never seen a tag that was discolored from a weld.

Spot welds. Many MTO's weren't happy with that years down the line so you'll find screws in many, Canada especially.
You think it would be ok if I ran a couple of small screws in it? The holes are there and I'd feel a lot better about it not possibly turnin loose. It's no collector car, but I don't want the serial number tag blowin in the wind like a fart.

Really? I would never have guessed since I've never seen a tag that was discolored from a weld.
I'll try to remember to grab a shot tomorrow from the '64. You can see the flat spots on the plate from the spot welds. Saved them 3 cents on rivets or screws...

Id chisel it the rest of the way off trying to preserve the original look and use 3M 2 sided tape. They make some thin stuff. Maybe get a body shop friend to hook you up. Liquid nails, Nah.

Spot weld - spot weld - spot weld

Screenshot_20240127-200447.png

Screenshot_20240127-200342.png

Screenshot_20240127-200236.png

Factory spot welded it.

If you want to keep the factory appearance an adhesive would be the ticket.

Rosette pop rivets would be a good solution. Only priests would know it's not factory.
Yep welded, brain fog on my part. I k ow if mine was loose I’d rivet it in place with later factory style rivets.

Another thought is to sneak in that weld area with a skinny grinding bit ( a drill bit would work) and a dot of metal to metal glue. Again, hook up with you local autobody friend.

I had the same problem on my 67 valiant. So I put some weatherstrip adhesive on the back of the tag and used regular pop rivets to smoosh it on.

Car isn't worth a lot of money and won't be sold anytime soon so doubt anyone cares. The tag matches the registration so no problem.

-
Back