Serious brain fart!!! Could it work??? Yall tell me!!!

-
Farmall had a tractor that started on gas then you would switch it over to diesel. MD model, if I remember right.

Owning M-B 5 cyl diesels and having started rebuilding one, I would say start designing now and hope your great-grandkids can finish it. You would need a new head since the injectors are ~1"D, plus pre-chambers and glow plugs. You would need a whole new block, unless you could figure how to run the injection pump off a toothed rubber belt pulley. The M-B diesels have a thick chain, similar to our timing chains to run the IP. The M-B diesels are also overhead cam, but they still suck on the high-end. You need new pistons and connecting rods to get the 22:1 compression and clear the pre-chambers.

The main people who install M-B diesels in other vehicles are off-roaders who want the low-end torque. They kind of suck in a car, so much that people used to install GM small-blocks in those cars. I have even wondered if I could put a Mopar 273 in my M-B if the diesel dies (one did), since rebuilt diesel engines cost $8500. BTW, please don't relay my "sucks" statement to the M-B forums because people there are diesel freaks, and would hang me. Most there wouldn't even consider a gas engine, even if not the bio-diesel types.

-
Back