Serious brain fart!!! Could it work??? Yall tell me!!!

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just had a serious awesome brain fart!!! (IMO) and perhaps a seriously CRAZY brain fart!! (Everyone else's opinion??)

Ok so here's some pointers... Slants built extremely tough.. Right?? I mean they have the same main bearings a 426!! The early ones also have forged cranks! (Do they have forged rods?? Idk) and on top of it all, the blocks are super thick!! Course you guys all know this stuff MUCH better than I do!!

Now... People turbo slants all the time right? Right. Turbo's help the torque a lot I hear!!

Here's my awesome or crazy (maybe both) idea (which y'all think it is?)... TURBO DIESEL SLANT!!! :burnout: :wav: what y'all think??? All comments welcome!! I already know I'm nuts so call me crazy if you want!!! :finga:

I've had way too much to drink to comment intelligently, but if you could get the head to seal to handle the increased compression, seems like a valid question. maybe somebody a hell of a lot smarter than me can throw in some reasons why or why not..

You would have to make so many changes to the top end it wouldn't be even close to worth it.

That wasn't a brain fart, it explosive diarrhea of the mind. :)

.........Tell ya whut ya do...........ya go find a couple 'ha thu guys thut ...........uh,........"designed" the Olds 350 "diesel" and as 'em whut they think..........if they's still 'round that is.............

.........Tell ya whut ya do...........ya go find a couple 'ha thu guys thut ...........uh,........"designed" the Olds 350 "diesel" and as 'em whut they think..........if they's still 'round that is.............

actually they did make a slant diesel prototype, it did make it into 5 test cars, there was a thread on it not so long ago

slants are built way stronger then a 350, or any mopar v8 for that matter, so they would hold up quite well I would think

DieselSlantSixPrototype.jpg

Zhad the same brain fart several years ago. Was told by the folks on /6.org that its been done and failed miserably.

actually they did make a slant diesel prototype,

Just because "they" made a prototype does not mean it used the same bottom end as a gas engine. It also does not mean it worked, well, or at all, LOL

LOL!!! Ben, I'm completely sober!! :D

TrailBeast, please do tell what has to be changed as I don't know that much about diesels...yet! :snakeman:

And 67, I talked to my bro in law and he said a big reason the 350 diesels sucked was they used week pushrods.... and a 350 :finga:

LOL!!! Ben, I'm completely sober!! :D

TrailBeast, please do tell what has to be changed as I don't know that much about diesels...yet! :snakeman:

And 67, I talked to my bro in law and he said a big reason the 350 diesels sucked was they used week pushrods.... and a 350 :finga:

Pushrods don't explain all the cracked heads and blown headgaskets they had.

For starters diesels need a compression ratio of about 22:1 if I remember correctly.
Diesels fire when the compression and temperature are high enough, not by spark.
Then it would need a (timed) diesel injector pump, which means it would either have to be electronically (computer) controled or physically connected to the cam or crank by gears or chain.
Spark plugs might be able to be replaced by injectors (maybe) but the head would have to have injectors either way.
Head gasket would have to be a monster to hold that compression back.

That's just the big stuff :D

Hmm... The idea SOUNDS good tho!! LOL!!!imagine the possibilities if someone got one to work very efficiently!! Would help the value of the slants...

Hmm... The idea SOUNDS good tho!! LOL!!!imagine the possibilities if someone got one to work very efficiently!! Would help the value of the slants...

The prototypes of DIESEL slant 6's that Ma Mopar built, had a bottom-end modification that changed them over to 7 main bearings from 4.

I got that information from one of Willem Weertman's (no typo) Slant Six books, so it's undoubtably right. He was the head Chrysler engineer on the design project for the slant six.

the problem with the slant six would be head gasket issues ,all the diesels I work on have 6 to 8 head bolts sealing the the gasket ,most older diesels had 22 to 1 compression newer engines have 14 to 1 ratios and make up the power with turbos,this is why the newer engines need glow plugs,intake heaters, to start now the NASCAR block with the 6 head bolts could be a start.

I thought I read somewhere that the slant diesel was going to be for Marine use. I'm sure I will be wrong..

Pushrods don't explain all the cracked heads and blown headgaskets they had.

For starters diesels need a compression ratio of about 22:1 if I remember correctly.
Diesels fire when the compression and temperature are high enough, not by spark.
Then it would need a (timed) diesel injector pump, which means it would either have to be electronically (computer) controled or physically connected to the cam or crank by gears or chain.
Spark plugs might be able to be replaced by injectors (maybe) but the head would have to have injectors either way.
Head gasket would have to be a monster to hold that compression back.

That's just the big stuff :D

Somewhere between 16:1 and 21:1 Compression for most diesels.

I haven't been inside many diesel engines, but I do know the 2.3L and 2.5L Turbo Diesels I ran in my D50 were right around 19.5:1 - 20:1 Compression ratio, and they had NO Combustion Chamber in the heads. The head surface was flat, only the valves stuck out past the head surface.

For S&G's, here's some pictures of a 2.3/2.5L

Did I mention that little tiny 4 Cylinder weighed as much as a 360? :prayer: And it had 6 Head Bolts around each cylinder.

It had glow plugs, but I never had to use them. Just tap the key and it fired up instantly.

He'd have to find a 6 Cylinder Injector Pump from a Diesel, like a VE44 from a Cummins, or one of the newer VP series pumps off of a Cummins, or one of the older Denso/Bosch Pumps from a 77-79 Dodge Truck (Mitsu 6DR5 diesel), not sure what other 6 Cylinder diesels would have a suitable pump.

The 6DR5 Pump would probably be your best bet, since it was the closest in size to the /6, at 4.0L. The big issue would be keeping it from popping the head off the block. Not to mention, Injector Pumps aren't cheap. People charge outrageous prices for them.

LOL, that was my first thought EXACTLY! If it survived the first fire-up, then 1 psi of boost would finish it off. There are good reasons that diesels are HEAVY. BTW, when you get to the time to start it, we want to watch.
Actually, I bet you would get it to run, but running and survivinng and durability are different animals.

You could completely re- design the engine, but all you would end up with is a diesel that is slanted.

I dont understand this train of thought. Slants are cheap to buy into and expensive to build N/A. Why would you want them to be expensive to buy AND build?

You have a point Matt!!! :D LOL perhaps I'll stick to my other crazy plans!! Like a beefed up mower with a slant on it! :burnout:

being a old fart I've worked on many things one of the oddest ones was the military jeeps of the 60's it was a diesel/gas high breed what they called a muti -fueled engine. it was a low compression double overhead cam diesel engine . with a carb, dist, spark plugs and a fuel injection pump .you cut the diesel fuel off turn the gas on fill the carb then start, after engine warms up to 180 you turn gas off turn diesel on pull the throttle cable for the carb wide open then start it now its diesel powered. you could run it on either fuel, NOW TRY STARTING THIS WHEN THE BULLITS ARE FLYING (GOOD LUCK)the compression was 10 to 1

being a old fart I've worked on many things one of the oddest ones was the military jeeps of the 60's it was a diesel/gas high breed what they called a muti -fueled engine. it was a low compression double overhead cam diesel engine . with a carb, dist, spark plugs and a fuel injection pump .you cut the diesel fuel off turn the gas on fill the carb then start, after engine warms up to 180 you turn gas off turn diesel on pull the throttle cable for the carb wide open then start it now its diesel powered. you could run it on either fuel, NOW TRY STARTING THIS WHEN THE BULLITS ARE FLYING (GOOD LUCK)the compression was 10 to 1

those multi fuel engines had quite the valve arrangement (one intake 2 exhaust), they warmed up on gasoline, then when you pull the handle they would open the carburator, and shut off the small exhaust valves used to bleed off compression, compression was then bumped from 10:1 to 18:1 and it then ran off diesel or similar fuels

dozers of the late 40's had this setup, insured that they would always fire up

I heard a slant six was cast from v12 tank engine mold redesigned to a 6 after the war. I don't know if it's true but if it is, that's a brain fart that worked!

-
Back