Seriously!!!

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
WOW!! So correct me if Im wrong but Torque converters are Trans specific not engine specific correct????

The engine shop building my engine called and told me that my torque converter I gave them to balance my engine with was for a 318 not a 360. Its a B&M 2000 stall converter. They said it wasnt big enough and the 360 converter is bigger. Im just in awe please tell me Im correct!

If I understand correctly most sbm flex plates are 11-1/8" bolt pattern. If they have a flex plate bolted up to the engine they are building that my TC mounts to then they should have no problem balancing the engine correct?

as long as you have the correct balancer, the matching flexplate , or the converter is weighted. you can buy flexplates with universal bolt patterns. check out summit. I don't know the exact measurements of the bolt holes.

as long as you have the correct balancer, the matching flexplate , or the converter is weighted. you can buy flexplates with universal bolt patterns. check out summit.

That is one thing that they did notice about the converter. It didnt have any weights but it did have some marks that looked like drill holes to remove material from one side that I assume were for balancing. As for the balancer I have a stock 318 one but Im not sure if that will work on a 360.

That is one thing that they did notice about the converter. It didnt have any weights but it did have some marks that looked like drill holes to remove material from one side that I assume were for balancing. As for the balancer I have a stock 318 one but Im not sure if that will work on a 360.
360s are all externally balanced from the factory. you need the correct weighted converter. OR the matching flexplate which you can order. you need to find out for sure if the converter you bought is neutral balanced or has been weighted some how. the 318 is internally balanced , thus the converter is not weighted nor is the balancer
or as doug says , you can get the weights and weld them on

if your people don't know any of this , you better clue them in before they go any further. if they didn't do any cutting and grinding on the crank counterweights, its just a matter of matching the external parts

360s are all externally balanced from the factory. you need the correct weighted converter. OR the matching flexplate which you can order. you need to find out for sure if the converter you bought is neutral balanced or has been weighted some how. the 318 is internally balanced , thus the converter is not weighted nor is the balancer
or as doug says , you can get the weights and weld them on

if your people don't know any of this , you better clue them in before they go any further. if they didn't do any cutting and grinding on the crank counterweights, its just a matter of matching the external parts

Forgive my ignorance. I thought only the magnums needed the matching flexplate?

One thing the engine shop did say was that they would have to weld a bunch of weight to the converter to get it to balance and maybe that is why they were thinking I had the wrong converter.

I checked Summit Racing for info on my converter (B&M 10416) and it does say it is balanced. So they should have no problem with that and should just make sure to have the correct flexplate on the engine is my thought. Im just looking for what to tell them on Monday.

As for my (318 balancer) since it is not weighted I should be able to use that on the 360?

Thanks again for answering all my questions!

all factory 360s are externally balanced and have a counterweighted balancer and weighted converter
all factory 318 are internally balanced and have no weights on the converter or the balancer

you cant mix and match these parts. if this is a factory crank and the balance has not been messed with , you have to have a 360 balancer, weights on the converter OR the counterbalanced flexplate and a converter with no weights.

this is the flexplate to use with a 360 balancer , and no weights on the converter

Attachments

• copy.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 432
You can internally balance your 360 crank assy but it will always be that way and any parts replaced afterwards will have to be dealt with.Since you already have the converter and want to use it you will need the 318 balancer also.Tell them you want them all balanced together and they should do it but I think they are leary about doing it because its not the normal way to build an engine as most stick with the factory spec parts,mainly for "down the road repairs".

STOP NOW!!! Tell the shop to not do anything!

Get the proper counter-weighted flexplate for the engine. If you need a LA 360 balance plate it's either a 10236 (727) or a 10239 (904).
The shop DOES NOT need your TC with the correct flexplate.

Make sure you have the proper balancer for the engine as well. A 318 balancer won't work on a 360 especially if the shop says they need to add weight to the converter, thus, external balance.

Not sure how many times one person, 73AbodEE, can say the same thing. :)

The balancer and flex plate are things the engine shop should provide I would think. They are the ones building me a 360 and should be able to get the converter I give them to work. I will have to call and have a talk with them about it all on Monday. Just frustrates me that they ask I provide a TC and then tell me I gave them the wrong one.

If they bought you a 318 balancer for a 360, they don't know what they are doing.

Unless you told them to get it, no engine I've ever built did I buy a flexplate for unless it was agreed upon before hand.

They likely aren't shelling out $80 because they need to get it balanced. I wouldn't!

Don't weld weights to the converter... Keep it neutral balance and use the correct flexplate.

I believe I have a 10236 plate for a 360/727 around here. If you want to buy it let me know. That's the easy way to fix this.Be

Here's what you want.
B&M 10236 727 flexplate.
360 Harmonic Balancer
Neutral Balance Torque Converter (No weights).
Done

Just to clear up my earlier post.I would get the flexplate and keep it externally balanced if it was me.But it's your car as they say.

No, they didn't buy a 318 balancer, that was a question I had, if they could use my 318 balancer. Now I know they can't.

We did agree to have the entire engine balanced and thAt is somethimg im paying extra for. Although now that I'm thinking about it I'm paying them for a long block. So for them to balance the engine I would think they would have to buy the correct flex plate and balancer for the engine. I'm just stumped as to what they are thinking with the converter.

Thank you again for putting up with my questions. I don't always understand the way some things are meant from one person until they are reworded by another. I will definetly be calling them and finding out what is going on now that I'm well educated.

Ok so you have a converter you want to use, the B&M 2000 for a 727. What the engine shop is telling you is that it won't bolt up to the factory flexplate they have on that 360 which probably had an 11.75" in converter and your new converter is a 10.75". The factory flexplates were sized to the converter which some 360's did use a larger converter. Now the other problem is that most likely (although not guaranteed) that B&M is neutral balanced which is wrong for a 360.

What corrects both of these problems is a B&M flexplate everyone is talking about. Either number will work in your case, one is drilled for both 11.75 and 10.75 converters and the other is only for the 10.75 converters but clears the starter better on 904s. You could get the converter externally balanced but then you still have the wrong size flexplate. Just buy the B&M one and be done.

-
Back