Setting up a 489 with Richmond gears

-
Still waiting on a picture of one that is not cut in the center.
I posted one in the last discussion about this, showing that the caps are NOT cut dead center. And no two cases seem to be exactly the same. I know people got all upset and argumentative, but I pointed it out because I had the SAME idea about going from the flat cap surface, until I did some measuring. It can get you close, but it's faster for me to use the proper tools, and I do it for a living, so speed and accuracy are paramount, but at the end of the day, your pattern is what will be the final say. Hope this helps clarify.

I posted one in the last discussion about this, showing that the caps are NOT cut dead center. And no two cases seem to be exactly the same. I know people got all upset and argumentative, but I pointed it out because I had the SAME idea about going from the flat cap surface, until I did some measuring. It can get you close, but it's faster for me to use the proper tools, and I do it for a living, so speed and accuracy are paramount, but at the end of the day, your pattern is what will be the final say. Hope this helps clarify.
So true. Kim

Post 13 tells you how to adjust your measurement if you are unfortunate enough to not have a carrier that is divided in the middle.
If your housing is not cut in the center get a different housing that is or else compensate for it. You don't have to have $1,000 tool to set up a differential. Good grief.

Post 13 tells you how to adjust your measurement if you are unfortunate enough to not have a carrier that is divided in the middle.
If your housing is not cut in the center get a different housing that is or else compensate for it. You don't have to have $1,000 tool to set up a differential. Good grief.
A parallel, a $50 depth micrometer from eBay and some math equations will get you in the ballpark.

Here is it pattern with a load on the carrier. It doesn’t look like the pattern shown in the instructions that came with the ring and pinion. Thoughts?

82AEA841-7278-47EE-B45B-72E12BB0D1C6.jpeg

375EFEDC-BFE8-4102-BE75-24019E56E075.jpeg

033BFB24-D35C-43FB-9F8B-4CA585F9219A.jpeg

According to my math I was dead on at 2.763”
I still think I would run that. In my limited experience you do not always get a pattern identical to those pictures.
But to me you have a similar good pattern on both sides.
Usually the best pattern is not to far off from that pinion depth etched on the gear, imho.

Ok, this I learned from a very old mechanic years ago. U see where the pattern is right on the end of the teeth. It shouldn’t be that close to the end. I would add at least a .010 shim to the pinion to move it back towards the crown. See what u get then. Kim

-
Back