setting valve lash

-

CrazyPete

Reaction score
here very soon i need to adj the valves any tips or tricks are very welcome i picked up a manual today to help with the process. I know get it to normal op temp than then remove the Valve cover (lol) set #1 to tdc and set the int to .010 and ex the .020 correct? Ive never done a slant 6 before and im guessing like everything else on this 76 dart its not been touched in a long time.

Set your idle speed as low as you can and still keep the engine running. Holding a socket wrench loosely in one hand, turn the rocker arm adjusting nut while "feeling" the clearance with the appropriate feeler gauge (the angled ones are easier to use than the flat ones). If you use a breaker bar instead of a ratchet, you can turn the nut either way without having to remove the wrench to reverse the turning direction. You might want to stuff some rags around the head to catch any oil that might splatter. Don't worry, it's not going to be spraying wildly everywhere.

While the rocker arm is going up and down like a sewing machine, place the feeler gauge between the arm and the valve stem and attempt to slide the gauge in and out. If the lash is too loose, the gauge will slide easily with no resistance. But if the lash is too tight, you will feel some "drag" on the gauge. With the wrench bouncing loosely in your palm (hand held above the rocker shaft), make the appropriate adjustments on the nuts to leave just a SLIGHT bit of drag. After doing a few rocker arms, you will get a feel for the proper amount of drag for the given gap you are looking for.

Good luck,
Jerry

I have a long offset boxed end wrennch I like to use there. Keeps my knuckles off the other moving rockers. I have a long offset feeler gauge set too. The right tools help a lot. As stated before tune and tweak the devil out of it so it will idle at extremely low rpm. Otherwise it'll throw oil everywhere. After you get comfortable riding the rockers you might look forward to doing it again someday.

I was going to my valves too, but i dont think i set min to that last time. I think mine were adjusted to .04 and .06 or so

-
Back