Shackle bolt diameter difference?

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've finally worked my way to the rear of my '74 Duster. New springs, but used shackles and rear bushings for the moment. Looks like I need some that measure 7/8" o.d. x 1/2" i.d. However, I was going through my pile of parts and found a shackle (other one's probably around here someplace) with 9/16" bolts/pins. Same diameter as my B/E stuff, but shorter "height" like the A body shackles I have. Any chance these were for an A body? Probably play hell trying to find bushings for them with the 7/8" o.d. spring eyes...

You should be able to find the correct shackles. Run an ad in the parts wanted section. The shackle bushings are cheap, I'd just get a new set. Post a photo of the shackles you have now, along with the measurements. Maybe someone will want to do a swap.

Yes, the 1/2" shackles will definitely be the way I'll go. I only need one, as somebody broke the threads off and welded the bloody stump to the side plate on it. If/when I find the match for this oddball(?) shackle, I'll see if there's anybody who has a use for them. Were the rear spring eyes normally 7/8"? The 3 pairs I've had/have all are, but most suppliers I find seem to think 1" o.d. is correct... while listing the i.d. as 1/2"?

I have A body shackles. If you post a picture and measurements I’ll compare
Them to mine.

My springs have 1" I.D. eyes for the shackle bushings.
Thanks, good to know. I'll take mine back apart and measure again, make sure of the eye diameter before I order bushings. Too many projects going on right now to be positive about anything.

I have A body shackles. If you post a picture and measurements I’ll compare
Them to mine.
Thanks Roy. The 9/16" pin ones measure 3.5" center-center, just like the 1/2" set. The B/E shackles I have (that came from either my Belvedere or my Challenger) are 9/16", but with a 4" spread. Looks like they're all for 2.5" springs. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow.

MOOG K-7309.
Yes, those are the 1/2" x 1" bushings. However, I was just on General Springs' website, and according to them the bushings I need are # HB891, which (by the description I found on another site) are 1/2" x 7/8". I've got to pull this stuff apart and make sure exactly what I have here.

I have 2 spare sets of shackle brackets (part that mounts to the frame) which measure at 7/8". I'm pretty sure both came from 7 1/4" cars. My Duster was originally a /6, probably a 7 1/4" as well. I'm wondering if there's a correlation between bushing size and type of third member.

That would make sense, I've only seen one type under B/E's as well. So back to the shackles with the larger pins... my '64 Barracuda had a spring relocation kit installed at some point. I'm pretty certain these shackles came with the car, maybe that was the style included in the kit.

A body shackle measurements.

403BDFF1-3EB4-4F28-B663-99DAC16458E9.jpeg

6648402C-7CD1-4E0C-8B70-E8279C489C3D.jpeg

81E0C53B-F7FB-4B70-A3AB-3E486AFEA43E.jpeg

361DEF3B-6B6D-4A53-A79A-7C29387FE06C.jpeg

1DC0A093-9327-4348-973E-2E580027BD9B.jpeg

Yes, those are the 1/2" x 1" bushings. However, I was just on General Springs' website, and according to them the bushings I need are # HB891, which (by the description I found on another site) are 1/2" x 7/8". I've got to pull this stuff apart and make sure exactly what I have here.

ok.

When I tell you something, I'm not blowin it outta my ***. I have two sets IN FRONT OF ME. The printed specs for the MOOG bushings are WRONG. They are 1/2 x 7/8. See the photo. It's a bad picture, sorry, but it's measuring .874. Probably cause it's a little cool today. You use whatever you want to use, but the MOOG number is correct.

BUSHING MEASUREMENTS.jpg

Thanks, guys, for the photos and measurements. I have a few 1/2"×1" bushings, I found the k7309 specs on line, believed it to be correct, and figured that's what they were. We used the dodge p/n (1940725), and the hb891 number at the local CarQuest today, and it crossed to k7309. Of course, they didn't have any on the shelf to measure, and I didn't want them to order me parts that may not have been correct. Thanks for the verification. On another note, I picked up another 1/2" style shackle from my buddy, and he just happened to have a spring relocation kit, in the box, he bought years ago. The shackles had 9/16" pins, at 3 1/2" on center. I think I know where mine came from now.

-
Back