Shackle bushing

-
Never have lubed shackle bushings. If I ever felt the need, I think I would use a very light dusting of graphite.

Do any of you grease the rubber shackle bushings befor you slide them in.

Always a good idea to give them a little grease, I used a stainless sleeve through the bushings I installed when redoing the back half of this 72. Little grease helped it go together easily.

I noticed some galling on my old rubber bushings so I gave the new ones a light coat of silicone grease I had around. (for o-rings on pool equipment)

Do any of you grease the rubber shackle bushings befor you slide them in.

No, I use gaskacinch to glue them in place for the OD, so the far one doesn't walk out while I push the stud through it. Then grease or use penetrating oil on ID of the bushing or OD of the shaft before pushing it through to help keep from pushing the opposite bushing out...

No, I use gaskacinch to glue them in place for the OD, so the far one doesn't walk out while I push the stud through it. Then grease or use penetrating oil on ID of the bushing or OD of the shaft before pushing it through to help keep from pushing the opposite bushing out...

Sounds logical

I too,used silicon O-ring grease over 18 years ago.They mighta bin polys. If you don't grease the stud and the bushing ID, it will bond to rubber bushings and make teardown nearly impossible.

Thanks for all you thoughts,a little tad of grease it will be.I kind of figured grease would be helpfull,it sure would of been 4 weeks ago, I had 1 L side shackle flip, when i took it a part the studs were frozen on the rubber sized .Remember that pic.It would not let it go all the way back.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 173
I use synthetic disc brake grease on all my suspension attachment points including the shock bushings. It won't attack rubber or plastic, has graphite, moly and PTFE in it, has a high washout resistance and lasts a very long time.

There is a dramatic reduction in sticktion and increased smoothness of movement. I use it on any part of my car that requires lubrication from a grease type lubricant.

Thanks for all you thoughts,a little tad of grease it will be.I kind of figured grease would be helpfull,it sure would of been 4 weeks ago, I had 1 L side shackle flip, when i took it a part the studs were frozen on the rubber sized .Remember that pic.It would not let it go all the way back.

Use a pry bar to help put the shackle in the proper position while it is unsprung, then lower the car and as the spring lengthens under load, it should go back to "normal" position.
that happened to me once...

i've always tightened them at ride height like the front suspension bushings ( that are vulcanized and do not move) the rubber should provide some resistance to suspension travel.
After they are tightened i don't think they will or are suppose to move.
The hard plastic ones you lubricate are different.

Use a pry bar to help put the shackle in the proper position while it is unsprung, then lower the car and as the spring lengthens under load, it should go back to "normal" position.
that happened to me once...

I tryed that did not put to much effort into it tho,its all apart now,just waiting for shackle bushing,leaf spring,should be here Monday :D

-
Back