Shark Tooth Grille question......

-

62BT409

Reaction score
Where did this grille start or come about? For the Demon, Dart and Duster?? I am a little confused about the whole thing. So, any input would greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JB

It orginally came out on the 71 340 duster and was used until 72,these were the only two years and model it was offered on.

OK, I see now. Then that is why they are rare and yet fit a good many models

OK, I see now. Then that is why they are rare and yet fit a good many models

Yes,before they came out with the reproduction it was really bad,you had to turn over rocks to find one for $400 that was rough shape.

it's really hard to find a reproduction now....i don't think they exist as cudagrille.com is down for the count they came on not only the 71/72 duster 340 but also the duster twister's.

Apparently, the reproduction grills were not the best quality...such a shame that it could not be done right.
Here's hoping that it will be done correctly next time!

following the topic what is the difference between the "stock" and shark tooth grill? pics?

The Sharktooth grill looks like...well a bunch of shark's teeth (that's how it gots it's name). The standard grill is the standard grill you find on the scamps and non 340/twister cars

The Sharktooth grill looks like...well a bunch of shark's teeth (that's how it gots it's name). The standard grill is the standard grill you find on the scamps and non 340/twister cars

i hope they come really rare ive got about a dozen of them not counting whats in the cars and a few nos one and no the nos i will keep unless you have a frist born haha

Here's a pic of mine. Before and and after I painted it.

Attachments

• P1030746.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,326
  • P1030787.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,380
Here's a regular 72 grille (needs work)

Attachments

• 72 Duster grille (small).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,137
hey kork340, please tell me what products you used to paint your sharktooth grill i love the way it turned out! if you could list product names/part #'s that'd be fantastic as i'm getting ready to purchase all the things necessary to "re-do" mine! -Dan

I was a hoarder . this is whats left, I kept the best ones. sold 11 on ebay with no reserve over the Years, Prices varried from $450.00 to the highest of $1500.00. Most were around 5-6. (sk34066)

Attachments

• DSCF0112.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,145
The grille that brought the $1500. was a 71 340 grille the fins were silver. it was molded in black plastic. I have the same grille in my Duster, it was never painted. Came with the v24 option. Whether or not that was significant I don't really know. I wish I would have kept the other one I had though . I also had one with the inner chrome on it from a 70 grille. You could see it was put on because the tabs that folded over were moved. but it looked pretty good. The rims and upper and lower grille were color keyed like a Sizzler. Buying and dealing these cars since the mid 70's I have seen alot of strange things that most of you would say never exsisted. Alot of the rare or unique items I kept.

The center of this grille was not repainted this is the way it came . The short hood pin cables are also original and attached to the grille.

Attachments

• DSCF0111.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,278
dusterdan, I used Rustoleum Satin Black and Rustoleum Aluminum and lots of tape (lol). Took a long time but turned out pretty good. I did a search on here for restoring them and got some info and advise from Oldmanmopar. Thanks! Your help was greatly appreciated.
Mark

kork thanks! you're grill looks great i can't wait to get started on mine! that tape job is going to be verrry time consuming but hey, definitely worth it in the long run!

i paid $550 for mine but hell seems like every duster has 1 now days at least at car shows

i paid $550 for mine but hell seems like every duster has 1 now days at least at car shows
Thats because it makes the car look MEAN!!! without it, it looks just like plain old car to me anyway.

mine was one of the many parts my brother basically donated to me:D

and I got to find out how much work it was to restore one...

-
Back