Shark Tooth Grille question......

-
The '71 Duster 340 was supposed to exclusively have the shark tooth grill and the matching shark tooth tail light panel that went on the '71 Demon. You would know it was the 340 coming or going. All other Dusters would have the standard grill and tail light panel. However, since Dodge cried foul on not having their own version of the Duster, Plymouth had to give them the body with the shark tooth tail light panel. So, if you have a '71 Duster 340, replace the tail light panel with a Demon repop and TAH DAH, you will have the Duster 340 that Plymouth wanted you to have back in '71.

The '71 Duster 340 was supposed to exclusively have the shark tooth grill and the matching shark tooth tail light panel that went on the '71 Demon. You would know it was the 340 coming or going. All other Dusters would have the standard grill and tail light panel. However, since Dodge cried foul on not having their own version of the Duster, Plymouth had to give them the body with the shark tooth tail light panel. So, if you have a '71 Duster 340, replace the tail light panel with a Demon repop and TAH DAH, you will have the Duster 340 that Plymouth wanted you to have back in '71.

Do you have any other info on this? I found it awhile back online but can't find it now, I have a 72 which are my favorite duster tail lights but always thought the demon tail lights would look great with the grill. Then I found the article and since bought a set of lights.

Do you have any other info on this? I found it awhile back online but can't find it now, I have a 72 which are my favorite duster tail lights but always thought the demon tail lights would look great with the grill. Then I found the article and since bought a set of lights.
After the '70 Duster came out, Dodge cried foul. So Ma Mopar gave Dodge the Duster body with the '71 Duster 340 tail piece. Dodge was in a rush and stuck the Dart front sheet metal on the Duster body. The wheel well openings don't match and the bumpers don't match. Now Plymouth cried foul about the Dart Swinger. So Ma Mopar gave Plymouth the Swinger body and Plymouth stuck the Duster front clip on it. The Scamp was born - but without the 340. The Dart Swinger was marketed as the "manly" performance car. The Scamp was marketed to the now independent working woman. Slant six or 318 only. Skinny steering wheel for their "delicate" hands. No Tuff wheel here. Frank Sinatra's song "This lady is a tramp" was changed to "This lady drives a Scamp" for marketing. Neither the Demon or the Scamp were big sellers compared to the Dart Swinger or the Plymouth Duster.

Last edited:
i went from standard to sharky grille , had to paint the new headlite bezels to match , and modifing the turn signal connectors to match the cars harness , used van leads for the connectors .

DSC07794.JPG

DSC07795.JPG

DSC00368.JPG

dusterdan, I used Rustoleum Satin Black and Rustoleum Aluminum and lots of tape (lol). Took a long time but turned out pretty good. I did a search on here for restoring them and got some info and advise from Oldmanmopar. Thanks! Your help was greatly appreciated.
Mark
Can you repost the info you received. This will be an upcoming project!! Thanks

yes repop , yes on fit issues , but fixed . had to get install kit from y/o , roseville supplied the grille and color difference of hl bezels to grille . the connectors on the t/sigs had to be modified to match my cars harness also . they are a tight fit through the core support . my fenders are glass so there is a fit issue do to mounting as well .

I need the bottom chrome strip anybody got one they want to sell ?

-
Back