Shaved and Filled Cowl Vents? Aftermarket AC

-
I don't mind the "new" look but I'll tell ya............there is no WAY I'd give up cowl vents. I think ALL cars should have 'em

Well, You are certainly entitled to your opinion, so tell me why is it so important to have them? Especially when they won't be used and are not needed.

I can see Del's point. It's pretty nice having that fresh, cool air blowing through your car on a 70* day. And it's way less turbulent than having the windows down.

I don't mind the "new" look but I'll tell ya............there is no WAY I'd give up cowl vents. I think ALL cars should have 'em
They are a Got-To-Have without AC. My convertible has the vents and I use them often but it doesn't have Air Conditioning.
But... I don't think I will miss them in this car.

The Classic Auto Air AC/Heat system I'm installing in the fastback only uses recirculated cabin air and blocks off the cowl opening inside the car eliminating the outside air.
Don't need 'em anymore and like the clean look without the grate in the cowl.

Frosty Cool Air on demand? Yep!
Defrost, Floor and Dash outlets? Yep!
Infinite Floor/Dash Blend? Yep!
Outside Air? Guess I'll have to crack a Wing window or roll one down. It's all good. :thumbsup:

Jt0SAra3pDiZn5BqwYfb1N7zHFm3IH3pDELMUD9ity9ptIJviZqfYa2LoYhE-P885G27bUbrPzZrgELvxA=w1521-h871-no.png

Well, You are certainly entitled to your opinion, so tell me why is it so important to have them? Especially when they won't be used and are not needed.

Might be our weather. Up here there are LOTS of mild days when I would want to just have "vent" don't need AC but do want fresh air

There are ways to keep the vents, obviously the driver's side. They made a "heat delete" one for the pass side I THINK, but regardless you can rework them

I'm using a cut down Mustang one on my driver side, only the butterfly is left. This is to leave more room for a relay panel and the Holley HP module.

You can just see it roughed in here

a2ufdk-jpg.jpg

This is what it looked like before I chopped it down. These would be easy to adapt on either side, either the complete unit or chopped down

5044_o.jpg

They are a Got-To-Have without AC. My convertible has the vents and I use them often but it doesn't have Air Conditioning.
But... I don't think I will miss them in this car.

The Classic Auto Air AC/Heat system I'm installing in the fastback only uses recirculated cabin air and blocks off the cowl opening inside the car eliminating the outside air.
Don't need 'em anymore and like the clean look without the grate in the cowl.

Frosty Cool Air on demand? Yep!
Defrost, Floor and Dash outlets? Yep!
Infinite Floor/Dash Blend? Yep!
Outside Air? Guess I'll have to crack a Wing window or roll one down. It's all good. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1715044348
My question, can the electronically controlled A/C setup be controlled using a double din touch screen head unit? I'm looking at a Kenwood unit that when used in new cars, has the ability to control the climate controls. Something I'll have to check into once the time comes.

My question, can the electronically controlled A/C setup be controlled using a double din touch screen head unit? I'm looking at a Kenwood unit that when used in new cars, has the ability to control the climate controls. Something I'll have to check into once the time comes.
Can you post the model number of the Kenwood? Also thinking of putting a double Din in place where the old heater controls were and the AC/Heat controls where the radio would go but if I could control it from the touch screen I might delete the Classic Auto Air controls.

Can you post the model number of the Kenwood? Also thinking of putting a double Din in place where the old heater controls were and the AC/Heat controls where the radio would go but if I could control it from the touch screen I might delete the Classic Auto Air controls.
I'm not sure exactly which model I'd do yet. I'd like one with backup camera and possibly front camera since the car will be low and I may do a custom front air dam, then I could see curbs when pulling into a parking spot. Also want one with navigation so it'd probably be something similar to the DNX693S.
The price will be a little hard to swallow but if I can get all the features that I want to work I think it'd be worth it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kenwood+dnx693s&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

I'm not sure exactly which model I'd do yet. I'd like one with backup camera and possibly front camera since the car will be low and I may do a custom front air dam, then I could see curbs when pulling into a parking spot. Also want one with navigation so it'd probably be something similar to the DNX693S.
The price will be a little hard to swallow but if I can get all the features that I want to work I think it'd be worth it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kenwood+dnx693s&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
Have a Kenwood DNX5120 in my truck but with smart phones today that will directly interface with most new head units I will not be getting Nav in the deck... adds at least $100 to the cost. I do like the garmin in my Kenwood but Google maps works really well.
My previous Pioneer unit had a better iPod interface than the Kenwood but have not shopped new units yet.

Ok I was going over the features of the DNX693S and couldn't find anything about it working with climate controls but I did see that the DNX573S can be adapted to work cars that have a touch screen climate control (like our 2016 Chrysler 200)

Ok I was going over the features of the DNX693S and couldn't find anything about it working with climate controls but I did see that the DNX573S can be adapted to work cars that have a touch screen climate control (like our 2016 Chrysler 200)

My memory from when I researched this was not possible to do unless you have the computer from the car that the AC system is from

However if you're into this kind of thing you might like an Alpine unit. They have a relay control module you can use to give power to things using the radio...accent lights, trunk release, door locks, windows etc. all powered on/off using the touch screen radio. But back to the subject at hand, I'll be doing the vent shave and if I want fresh air that's what the windows are for.

I don't want to give up the cowl vent but... I once noticed some models have 2 separate smaller vents and considered going that route. Come up with some design/layout that would better compliment the B'cuda hood medallions. I figure if that larger cabin, F M J whatever the heck it was, would work with lesser venting the A-body should too. Just different eyes I suppose.
And while I'm at it may as well type my input on Kenwood head units. I've had 2 and hated both. Just too damn complicated for inflight use. If I touched it the wrong way, pull into a parking lot and feck with it to get back to whatever it was doing before, or just turn the damn thing off. As long as I had a co-pilot in the passengers seat... all good.

My favorite quote, "back in the day". When I was a kid, a long, long time ago, there were no cowl vents. You rolled the window down and let the wind blow. In the late 40's, 50's and 60's we got vent windows. Same story though let the wind blow. Peyote, I'm with you.

My favorite quote, "back in the day". When I was a kid, a long, long time ago, there were no cowl vents. You rolled the window down and let the wind blow. In the late 40's, 50's and 60's we got vent windows. Same story though let the wind blow. Peyote, I'm with you.

This another thing I detest...........modern cars without vent windows.

-
Back