Shaved and Filled Cowl Vents? Aftermarket AC

-

'Cuda_ragtop

Woulda, Shoulda, 'Cuda!
Reaction score
Anyone eliminate the vent opening in the cowl? Classic Auto Air AC System does not use outside air and blocks it off inside.
I'm thinking of eliminating the grated opening for the vents in the cowl. Smoothed out would look really nice and also eliminate a source for collecting crap or leaks.
Will fill the firewall holes too.
gorP5eROp_dzBmoc5wMUJ3TFlby40Kv_pJCTpQfJUEG-IjyIOz2hEZQgs9grQM-ylpds4Fb55_31ExL1HA=w1369-h770-no.jpg

The windshield washer jets would need to be moved but I think I can find late model little black ones like theses and mount them on the cowl.
s-l200.jpg

s-l200.jpg

i would turn it into a fresh air intake, its allready there, might as well use it

(the main reason i didnt use it like that on my car is because i heard conflicting claims on it allowing gas fumes and more noise into the cabin, but if it is closed on the inside, rock it)

you would need to put washers jets on the hood so you have access to the hose.
I plan to put them close to where they are now and use the hole where the original jets pass through the firewall into the cowl.
Fish the hose through the holes and connect to the jet, then seat the jet. Most are just a friction fit and just snap into a square hole like the ones pictured for a Jeep.

washer jet.JPG

Anyone eliminate the vent opening in the cowl? Classic Auto Air AC System does not use outside air and blocks it off inside.
I'm thinking of eliminating the grated opening for the vents in the cowl. Smoothed out would look really nice and also eliminate a source for collecting crap or leaks.
Will fill the firewall holes too.
View attachment 1715017043

The windshield washer jets would need to be moved but I think I can find late model little black ones like theses and mount them on the cowl.
View attachment 1715017044

View attachment 1715017045
I did exactly that....for the exact same reason. Classic air system with recirc only. I did have a "uhhhhhhhh" moment when I realized the washer nozzles poked through the grate. So far I haven't addressed that problem...if I decide it's even a problem. I love the clean look and no more leaf/rust pit.

12 - 30.jpg

12 - 34.jpg

12 - 36.jpg

12 - 38.jpg

12 - 39.jpg

12 - 40.jpg

72Dart.jpg

I did exactly that....for the exact same reason. Classic air system with recirc only. I did have a "uhhhhhhhh" moment when I realized the washer nozzles poked through the grate. So far I haven't addressed that problem...if I decide it's even a problem. I love the clean look and no more leaf/rust pit.

View attachment 1715017218

View attachment 1715017219

View attachment 1715017220

View attachment 1715017221

View attachment 1715017222

View attachment 1715017223

View attachment 1715017225

That looks really clean! Thanks for posting!
Definitely going to be a big improvement. The inside will get a good clean out and POR15.
I already ordered three different type/styles of washer nozzles... they are pretty inexpensive unless you look at Porsche or Mercedes... I took a short walk out to the parking lot and looked at a few cars. Wow there are a lot of different styles.

Did you use the Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit System? How do you like it?

That looks really clean! Thanks for posting!
Definitely going to be a big improvement. The inside will get a good clean out and POR15.
I already ordered three different type/styles of washer nozzles... they are pretty inexpensive unless you look at Porsche or Mercedes... I took a short walk out to the parking lot and looked at a few cars. Wow there are a lot of different styles.

Did you use the Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit System? How do you like it?
Thanks for the kind words. I frankly aren't worried about the washer nozzles...mine is a fair weather beast.

I did not get the perfect fit system. I got one of their universal ones....reason being, is that I didn't want to reuse any of the stock controls and I shaved 1/2 my firewall.....mine was basically a blank canvas. Can't speak to the effectiveness of the AC as I haven't charged the unit. I'm still putzing with the car cooling system to get it "right' and don't want to have to keep recharging the AC system in the event I need to remove the condenser. Overall, I'm fairly happy...my only real complaint is the cable controls. I cheaped out and didn't get the electric. The cables work "okay" but are a bi#$@ to adjust and aren't nearly as smooth as I thought they'd be.

Thanks for the kind words. I frankly aren't worried about the washer nozzles...mine is a fair weather beast.

I did not get the perfect fit system. I got one of their universal ones....reason being, is that I didn't want to reuse any of the stock controls and I shaved 1/2 my firewall.....mine was basically a blank canvas. Can't speak to the effectiveness of the AC as I haven't charged the unit. I'm still putzing with the car cooling system to get it "right' and don't want to have to keep recharging the AC system in the event I need to remove the condenser. Overall, I'm fairly happy...my only real complaint is the cable controls. I cheaped out and didn't get the electric. The cables work "okay" but are a bi#$@ to adjust and aren't nearly as smooth as I thought they'd be.
Thanks. Good food for thought.

JIcaptain, Great post! I'm doing exactly the same thing and I wondered what it would look like when it was done. Nice post!

Getting there...

uQrANwjtXARKFJj8OCtz-WazFFn9VxywgrryIZID3UjcwJeCFg2nCi9dMmOLTqD31aUHvc43COvP6IZIZXKXUPeR5DP_DCub8CRXB2NeMcjUZmnV_YUpMyUY2bZi26L2IBhoYS3MtomIJ5A_QHHrr-FKKbL0OAjbhsqDxeF3DATDMJyHBGLKZnpraRoJFPKIsCxncthjZChys1k2HtuG_jWhgXpGBK_J0CFsxcdGK5vYD27n8XkeoDzNYfCL_O0UdDkqbZoa7rLuRKZ-fa2bldqqYlNapqWf2AozW2J8kxmDlT_eIYoNbISoIZKgJeKqTjt59lIoLMAEDUbgcaDETWMBe2TGlPMKO5TNRS5N4urNJwh7xanrMjQU4H3UndsNitIa8lIrL7wSHdXrcdoJx8gD7-tCztUlZkhUTqJ82oY_YaeSPYFp2LpPs5okETUwBay5wtHxHT15QLPdPCVRhAFWRUDK6iqfjB0jUWsW1mJzxRZvhhVXL0gbad-Ep0iyUi0sQJrJS_BHoXjQnonpnFralXQsBirTjUBswfmdyFy9PT6wjPWG6eNXmmlSjnC58iDFymN0nXalXGtJZOCtDcTFeKxenhCj_rNkm2rwxPoA6xpAhaq8YVYyQrgYAAXUmzItZ-Jv9B7Xe3rc45-v811scjuLK7R1G6NjlUzriQ=w718-h404-no

WzM6bkPH6Kd3tgpnCsX6xXR6P03cTMD-2cgmRPb_zk_wmBHwu5kD-2ph4cv6queBZWu-Ij5WtegKwW8CPSL37G9ZUjvjjc4EkGJHtH8tRjLhkM1ZPRQAhmaKhEMbM41N12D9FepBaGPOoD_IxArQqFYiwrmb_ZQ4BdjLUJ5sdIw4YhoZp59HAQBd4_xj0rowGOWxKskC8N6e07CNUEXsC6fu-SeMZNRqSy6yAFh8HNdI6BegWMe4L31mB0Vw1DqvX3ihAuhXJq8y7_aoXyHd_9VbZIB5G8zjiY6yLdnxNmXCgLXYx8ZNooR9G20OxpnlsxMUqss5ujQwZ-sb4JRVIh-VPj66drPX4UN_UF6y6vAnfA1IZXmSaoZkx5utjg-PQBJ5Jvq3tuoqWUuaKGoPVVOsgQ1gM4952jZz1q8NjmNaYquprnGxRcC2O7BDkK6LX9HHsZ6rJAktCFRdU2m5GcQjku_WfNtHchd97n3YReg-Mvz5dlV3k8xjeCavZsQDCwy1ACzY8FUeRC-u8e31bw_6dXdbOTM1bVdVIW0GrLVgCnHT2c14lZvvZaUcjUaKVGvD2QA8uyIjDQbmIhHZWihlwd9n82uZuQwsoVIuG2wrj7I2qXMj1i735ngjWv7erxpaXm8vuGcAYLAz0I_VSV6VlWzWz6YAwOpaRYceRg=w1760-h991-no

s9VBFC9fsb-bvMloyTKhBc8KXjT5KyWguAWaNlXlWmHqel20tdoT-hj49YdML2kUSyr-CXcPx9K8ZLjYZZTatAM7Ucf71JNuYpPypmFA-T6fQkrIxx6dZD2SHVyQtMOX7fLSUB3XO7sknDmz7-6BU2Ad7PauV-VVSlq8wuHxCqu32o44DYvyx1LwzlDdpjpnrZJIkVgw89aPCqioXRSzwTeC7nYvVC9ZAOXGeYMLFwv-2VJGa_ypAvoE11DCxx7ahr_oxG5okcAGtgHurXc3g3LhIPsnC7ws_nUx4zoVHiB-5eqBSKSEDFWAgPnN4ZORfIbUqbdd1C7WHu6HXPy_krL1f-MpPWjOIa0BFjnDejDOKNATE5GeaDW4Fm4o4kq7Y0mfq5sWxrBpGxj9r2FoUTak1sgUahgWD4w878KX8WP68v3lHx_hxpXhioHQhbgzFCWnRtnMzfakZnsbGeF6DPo17FsSbvzCI_lMTVmdPuL74FwCJ75oRTuEXqe18b6WdaL9HpwGdfQ8ifMX0Yl7gW6Q3HflqZdUrzRS7A1XBRSLVep8l5C2iOxWF85-dnqFeNgtPRTQPStZrbk2XpoRuyqdZUbfSFAmEzlZ3iaRAtoD9RPGznADFpRNRw0lz08LkxiypKDUALAml8rlqeNRmFoOVQ21fO4JTr6Cijy-Sw=w1760-h991-no

lYCy1I_Xfp-LQByUnrzmrx2MFETFjZz4gAFP259kF66RU0LuNfVjTzivgOWTfpUE0WsH0neYKhwtlJacq0JiIbwdbn4ZaTzWvyqtJSUBOOFl6GgXHOnDNqMZuWzD2uXTwwKEh1vUQfuBnqZva8cTBNi6o2gGoKxjoInoqvLOSnSfTuA8r7_GKNfpp1j7R2dWVuDXDHOTQEHIXfGLrVpNaf-xOdk1vtENL8GOBBMV2ylaAu1syE9RpZYrPcEt4Db580kEuS-PMvO4IfDCUzS5yJL55VdnjaNOOFuF_aNfwpEEPJwxHK3N_ZrcLGf0zmHwd4KuX0lVX7l_q5fzfa1-fDqwgm7Dm96MY49mKulGkDu6rJYczUEEfoWa6x11BbU8x9vREid6f8gfpBhJ9jGhfrDvniVk1MTej41gyM6FSObqfQskQ9c3JflwgxSFl2V16Vsxa1z8l_81lx9Sc2DVBO8r2eCxTjSCIGBTFBS31JA_UAKMPV-HBCLat-UQke2tTbiikclA4C-4Pjipd9bTGLQYKvy6bH6WmekJR3AqmQNCiBseCVDPmsXKrwMMm-MN-AG3V8nQnPUrmvd1pnTHOztkzoxOSph_KjXUMQ0icwXbanTacYHjjSVRaC0Bp5zrvJ7xKBYUhv0jmo-7InPs2V6tpvPkPTWhcE_qD84Vdw=w1760-h991-no

f1irIwLsi6E3bq-Ds2uNKHas-8xhnJdcnMOjGpO-dFYgggL7bk8MegqvOqyY_XEjRGy1jwfiarNA2SiEWAxdpd50pzbAIk_uEHF4FtJ3YSpL_LkynLLaaR1DmPc877LlGOqfn_FyQH61uvpQblLCVnPyZcMMLHRhTeN4iZcnAd1OAG97qA-96qdZWHZOfQ0Lb3rGsrmC4sVjWljpJ_40Up7QX9lgnLOwGA6odkDLdD39KovIsml0rCtxDQLJTR2gbQPm6LCulONW1JPWjVhzziuvwljsigqWLaUGBsAXJclNDMCd5U_BosLQDIakMRKTB7gP3cpTwFenw1G-lfko2G6u6gCeLAo7U30O3JqS4zGTi8y-UCRJNAaoYfAfC_zYcKHgJfnkLXAnSii5IfeUGrB4XO58gSy-wuIdZhQWN_e0oZ3aV6Qm4OhfN8Auq1jkdCq7E-zh13Ro4kAQj2KtjRcUN17HdM5KojyrA5pCDFCD5ihf6nIKzwkxJPXCnnssp01u8sFAtMhqFAdhZbBOEfM2zmPHYkyoWZr_MX-iQG4nwtTeWHJFHaXMOtdQZjpouA4ekgiSkIRsfoxU4W1R_48OJFsG3qUWp9s8wYMGRMaKlj3zWQMJkWqS738qTtFiHA6wha81PhEH8OsDmBihRUbQcZk87F77aGtPDMdRDw=w1760-h990-no
Dude you weld better than me! Looks clean...great job. I think all the subtle things like this add up. Most people don't notice, but they certainly notice the end result. Marker lights, bumper bolts, antenna hole...get rid of em ALL!!

Dude you weld better than me! Looks clean...great job. I think all the subtle things like this add up. Most people don't notice, but they certainly notice the end result. Marker lights, bumper bolts, antenna hole...get rid of em ALL!!
Think I'll keep the marker lights but the antenna hole is most definitely gone along with the cowl.I'll post some pictures late this week.

Last edited:
Thanks, I wish I welded... just have not got around to learning yet. Trying to do as much as I can myself though.
Got rid of the Antenna Hole and all the Emblem Holes, the holes in the header panel will get filled to when it goes back in for final paint.
Thought about welding and smoothing the bumper bolts but backed off and just got the bumpers re-chromed instead.
The big expenses for me are metal work, body and paint.
Wanted to get this car done in time for my sons graduation this June. Not going to make it. May have it very close though.

^ ^Thanks!
This was why I went with the universal with electronic controls.
Still need to figure out how and where I want to run the cooling and heating lines.
Think I will run them hidden in the fender. Put them through a conduit/s or make a shield to protect against tire blow-out tearing them out...
Also looking into electric compressor that can be hidden inside the fender or between the core support and grill as well as electric power steering.
Trying to keep as much out of the engine bay as possible. Right now I'm thinking only 1 belt for Alternator.

I think this is definitely a mod I'll want to do to by Duster then.

Also, as far as the windshield washer nozzles go, why not get the nozzles off a newer GM model? ('02 Silverado for example) they have them mounted ON the wiper arm. I'll grab a pic of one here in a few minutes

Don't know if it matters, but with all of that plumbing going on the wiper arm, you may over stress the wiper arm motor or the pivot point on the linkage.

Don't know if it matters, but with all of that plumbing going on the wiper arm, you may over stress the wiper arm motor or the pivot point on the linkage.
I'll eventually be mounting a Ram or neon wiper motor under the dash

It was discussed as one option but we opted for the jets mounted on the cowl.
Thought about the hood location too but we can use the factory washer setup right up to the hole into the cowl from the engine compartment.
Running a hose to the wiper arms would look worse than a couple washer jets mounted on the cowl. Just my 2¢
I bought a few different kinds off ebay... The ones we like have 4 streams each and are aimable.
Think they were for a Jeep. Truth is they are probably for a dozen or more different vehicles.
Haven't decided if I will leave them Black or paint them body color, easy enough to change though. These are not them, just an example.

windshield-washer-spraying-washer-fluid.jpg

It was discussed as one option but we opted for the jets mounted on the cowl.
Thought about the hood location too but we can use the factory washer setup right up to the hole into the cowl from the engine compartment.
Running a hose to the wiper arms would look worse than a couple washer jets mounted on the cowl. Just my 2¢
I bought a few different kinds off ebay... The ones we like have 4 streams each and are aimable.
Think they were for a Jeep. Truth is they are probably for a dozen or more different vehicles.
Haven't decided if I will leave them Black or paint them body color, easy enough to change though. These are not them, just an example.

windshield-washer-spraying-washer-fluid.jpg
I'm planning to put a windshield washer fluid resevoir in the drivers wheel well so my tubing would go from the reservoir, into the interior, up through the cowl to the wiper arm

-
Back