She’s been sitting for 1 year…

-

Hambony58

Reaction score
70 Dart 408 stroker, hasn’t been fired up for 11 mos. Moved from Cal to S. Carolina and have been dealing with getting settled in, cleaning up shop, dealing with some health issues…ya’ know-Life at 64 yrs My question is should I drain the oil and what if any other things should I be aware of? Some pics of shop and car(s) included.
Probably should’ve said that I want to get it running again has a starter issue but wondering if I should drain the oil and fill it with new before starting? At this point it has some racing oil in the crankcase.
825618CF-F4ED-4342-A72D-27E9BF657BAB.jpeg

AA9CD1B9-5A98-4B7B-AD29-0090C25BC631.jpeg

75FCE2D0-A5B8-4E7B-9038-61B71C6FD34C.jpeg

89C83D23-941C-407A-9911-CE68DBB6ACB5.jpeg

56FA713A-B0DE-4CB8-8986-EBB1BE13D277.jpeg

89F7CD67-8904-4ECD-8A2F-F4C68C2ECFA4.jpeg

Last edited:
Change the oil, my opinion, and also you may have to go through your fuel system if gas sat in it for 11 months.

San Jose is hot and dry so the oil should be fine. Pull dist and drive gear and Prime the oil pump first.

don’t crank it to get oil pressure, defeats the purpose, might as well start it right up.

Fill the float bowls so it will start without cranking for 2 minutes. what fuel was in it?

A good looking and clean Dart you have there!

San Jose is hot and dry so the oil should be fine. Pull dist and drive gear and Prime the oil pump first.

don’t crank it to get oil pressure, defeats the purpose, might as well start it right up.

Fill the float bowls so it will start without cranking for 2 minutes. what fuel was in it?

A good looking and clean Dart you have there!
Agree with this ^^^ but he moved to SC which is hot and humid.

Welcome to the CA evacuation club... lol. After 50+ years on the Peninsula fam and I celebrated our 1 year out of CA anniversary with a nice dinner last night. I did not get a shop with my move... but did get a 3 car garage. :welcome:

I drove both my rods out but the advise above is good. Get some fresh gas in it. I would not bother changing the oil right away. Disconnect coil and crank it a bit to get some oil up top before you fire it up. Then fire it up and letter run for a bit.. come up to temp. Run it through the gears in the driveway to get the trans settled and check the brakes. Tires might need the shine knocked offem so watch that first ride. Shut down and check oil. I'd recommend a refresh on the radiator fluid as soon as practicably possible. 50/50 mix... temps will drop... be ready for the cold stuff and higher humidity. You will likely need to adjust your carb... I'm at 5k feet now and had to lean both mine out.

GL!

NNNOOOOO, More damage done Pulling the coil wire and cranking it, just start the ***** up if you are too lazy to prime the oil pump with the drill. It will take you 5 minutes it’s if you are fast, or 15 if you are slow.

For the lazy crowd you will get oil up fast just starting it up. less damag/wear.

I agree, prime that engine first. Get the oil in those dried up bearings and galleys first. Just my.02

Tim

Fill the float bowls so it will start without cranking for 2 minutes.

I would rather crank on it for 20 seconds or so before the engine fires if I don't prime it. . Getting a little oil pumped through the system is way better than a dry start by priming the carb for a instant start. Like you said, priming the system before the start up is your best bet. I never have primed except for the initial start on a fresh engine and have never had any issues or premature failure.

Cranking it dry is no different than starting it dry. The oil gets there faster starting it.

if you care about the engine then prime it.

Cranking is not doing your engine any good, it just makes you feel good because most others on the internet are doing it.

Ive been reading this crank with wire off for too long, it’s a dumb move.

Last edited:
If it were mine, I'd just fire it up. In the hundreds of engines I've pulled apart, I've never seen one with dry bearings. Even the fuel will be good enough to run.

11 months ain't ****. If it makes you feel better....add a little octane boost to the tank. Fire it up.
People get funny ideas about oil and sometimes treat these engines as if they're fragile when they're not.

Octane boost is a fantasy also, waste of money and turn the plugs a different color.

Just fire it up and be on your way, I took apart a motor that had been sitting for 12 years and the bearings still had oil.

Octane boost is a fantasy also, waste of money and turn the plugs a different color.
It's just not all of what people think it is.
Its maybe a half point and some top end lubricants "carb cleaner". It definitely helps with run on.

All those TV car shows, they just get a battery, a big jug of gas, and tip about 2 quarts down the carbie throat. :lol:

Backfires and flames are normal. :thumbsup:

LOL, it takes a Kiwi to be the voice of reason...
Anyone would think all the oil magically evaporated off all the surfaces over the months.
Personally I'd just give it some fuel in the carbs, and fire it up..

Charge the battery to full capacity. You might overwork your alternator if the battery is down, but still has enough juice to start it.
Check your fluid levels. If they look okay, they will be.
I like to fill the bowl vents on the carb. That way there's enough gas to keep the engine running until the fuel pump picks it up.
For a car that has been started within the year, this is plenty. All of the previous tips are great for long term, but not necessary just to get running.

-
Back