Shift cable

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
I ordered a new shift cable for my '65 904 from Imperial. The new cable comes without the adjuster assy. that goes into the tranny. I tried to remove the adjuster from the original cable without success. Are the cable and the adjuster assy. seperate parts?

Looking in the Motors Manual and not seeing a breakdown (I'm assuming floor shifter from your garage photos).

Are you saying the adjusting wheel did not come with the new cable?
The adjusting wheel on the old cable should come off (counter clockwise rotation)

I ordered a new shift cable for my '65 904 from Imperial. The new cable comes without the adjuster assy. that goes into the tranny. I tried to remove the adjuster from the original cable without success. Are the cable and the adjuster assy. seperate parts?
Yes, separate parts. I have seen some that got crossthreaded and wedged on tight. If it's not crossthreaded, it should spin off once your remove the O-ring.

Yes, I have removed the adjusting wheel. When installing the shift cable, best to slip a section of "fire sleeve" over it if it passes close to an exhaust pipe (usually). That is silicone-covered fiberglass. I think you can find on ebay or Amazon.

This is a picture of the new cable end that goes into the transmission. Note: the adjusting wheel assembly isn't there. The old cable assy has an adjusting wheel assy attached. How is the old adjusting wheel assy removed from the old cable?
Sorry about fuzy pic.
000_0805.JPG

Last edited:
This is a picture of the new cable end that goes into the transmission. Note: the adjusting wheel assembly isn't there. The old cable assy has an adjusting wheel assy attached. How is the old adjusting wheel assy removed from the old cable?
Sorry about fuzy pic.
View attachment 1715978987

It'll rotate off. Counter clockwise.

If it doesn't rotate than treat it like a rusted bolt/ nut and soak it with your deruster/ lubricant of choice

Can't tell anything from that photo. The adjustment wheel just threads on.....regular RH threads. It should move easily. I've never seen one that wouldn't come off by hand except for ones that had been cross-threaded. Usually the O-ring on the end will keep the wheel from coming all the way off, so, just remove that first. Oh, and you definitely don't want that cable anywhere near the exhaust. Do whatever it takes to keep it cool.

I have no problem with the adjusting wheel. Your not getting the fact that new shift cable doesn't come with the part that the adjusting screws onto. Even though the picture is fuzzy it is easy to see that something is missing. The picture shows the tranny end of the cable. Look at the picture in your repair manual that depicts adjusting the shifter. It doesn't look like the new cable end that locks in the tranny. The cable and the adjusting wheel assy are two different parts. That part appears to be pressed onto the cable. How are they separated?

I have no problem with the adjusting wheel. Your not getting the fact that new shift cable doesn't come with the part that the adjusting screws onto. Even though the picture is fuzzy it is easy to see that something is missing. The picture shows the tranny end of the cable. Look at the picture in your repair manual that depicts adjusting the shifter. It doesn't look like the new cable end that locks in the tranny. The cable and the adjusting wheel assy are two different parts. That part appears to be pressed onto the cable. How are they separated?

Hmm...

Looked at MM and Imp sites. I think I'm seeing what you're referring to. There should be a much larger diameter threaded section.

Screenshot_20220901-111352_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220901-111308_Chrome~2.jpg

Imperial sent me the wrong cable! Boy do I feel stupid! I originaly paid $253. When I received the part they charged me another $60. The part I need is $289 plus shipping.

-
Back