Shifter cable replacement*pics of damage* new problem?

-

SR*77

Reaction score
Went to take my wife on her first ride in the demon and I only had 2 gears out of three. Got home crawled underneath the car and tracked my problem to a melted shifter cable, plastic shielding is melted away and I can see the cable, looks frayed too but I can't get a good look between the headers to see it. It's a reverse valve body 727 with a b&m shifter. I have never had to replace one before or install a shifter for that matter, is it pretty straight forward?

I'm doing it right this time and installing a heat jacket around the cable.

Yes, it's pretty straight forward. Order the correct replacement and follow the directions, route away from headers as much as you can and insulate like you said.

Then take your time getting the adjustment correct. It really isn't that difficult.

thanks again, getting it up in the air hopefully after work and pulling the old one out to measure it.

photo_zpsc5a5f5aa.jpg~320x480

photo_zpsc7f0fec8.jpg~320x480

Ok, so I spent roughly an hour in the garage getting it out over last couple nights. When I removed it I pulled on the ends and they still moved freely. The cable is moving in the white sheathing.
Is there possibly something wrong with the valve body?
I had all gears but the final drive gear (3rd) and had to give it a good pull to get it into reverse.

Negative, did you run it,in a loop? Do you have pictures, of the original install?

The cable abd sheathe need to be fixed in length. To have a opening in the sheathe allowing the cable to go in and out of it yields the same result as having the one end of the sheathe unattached or not anchored. Hope that makes sense.
I've seen several similar posts. A popular cure is routing a much longer cable up over around and back again like a loop.

Even though this is a photo of a six cylinder car, it shows the use of a longer cable going down the left side of the trans hugging the bellhousing with tin shields to the trans lever. ended the melting problem

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 172
I dont have a pic of the original install.
The person I bought it from had a motor built by Koffel but didnt take the time to insulate the trans cable or some of the spark plug wires. He used some Hooker competition headers and the rear drivers side spark plug wires are touching the header, so thats the next fix I have to take care of.
The cable came down through a hole made in the trans tunnel (originally the car was column shifter), ran forward about mid way to the front of the block and held in place with a clamp bolted to the block, then ran to the trans. It was a 5 ft cable.
It has a B&M reverse manual valve body on a 727, so I dont know about looping and running it around, I'd have to crawl back under and look.

After looking at the cable and thinking about it at work I came to the conclusion that with the exposed copper wire that it didnt have the reinforcement there to keep the cable from popping out of what was left of exterior sheathing.

I plan on using a heat shielding tube from Summit, parts will run just under $100.

Sorry for any dumb questions, this is my first rodeo with old mopars, always a fan, first time owner

When I had a hurst 1/4 stick, I slid a piece of 5/8" heater hose over the cable in the areas where heat may affect it.

-
Back