shifter handle preference

What shifter handle do you prefer

• Total voters
-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
Just switched to a t-handle (like the line lock button)
have to say I like it a lot better than the ball shifter.

1468500849_zpskfccikie.jpg

Last edited:
Had one in my "340" Swinger. Cut another thread or so and rotated the handle to naturally fit my hand as thrown onto the shifter. Oriented it more to an 11/4 (on the clock) position. Found it easier to grab.

I have always liked the pistol grip, i have a t-handle in my car now and it's okay, but will change to the pistol grip when i get a little more $$$together.

I personally like a pistol grip anytime the stick is traveling back/towards me and a ball for anytime the stick is traveling forward/away from me so I designed my own.

Ball, ball, ball; nothing but a ball. You can put your hand on it, under it, or on the side of it. You can plow it with your palm, or yank it like you're starting an auger motor. You install it once and it stays tight. It is nearly impossible to slip off. You can drill holes in it to mount little switches. And best of all your wife won't hurt herself when returning to her seat.....

I have a Hurst T Handle but was thinking of switching to a Ball. I can't believe the price of a Hurst white 4 speed ball. $45 is crazy. Anyone know of a less expensive source for one?

I would try to stay away from brass inserts. Unless you loc-tite it on. Even then, IDK.
My Mr.Gasket ball is circa 1971. Probably before chinesium. It has been going strong for decades. And I don't recall the insert material.
'tell you what tho; I took one of those Hurst-type T-handles and drilled/tapped it up the big end and stood it on end onto my stick once. That worked pretty good, too! It was just too long tho and slowed down my shifting...........

I would try to stay away from brass inserts. Unless you loc-tite it on. Even then, IDK.
My Mr.Gasket ball is circa 1971. Probably before chinesium. It has been going strong for decades. And I don't recall the insert material.
'tell you what tho; I took one of those Hurst-type T-handles and drilled/tapped it up the big end and stood it on end onto my stick once. That worked pretty good, too! It was just too long tho and slowed down my shifting...........

720-9618.jpg

Mr. Gasket 9618 | Buy Mr. Gasket Classic Shifter Knobs at JEGS

I have a Hurst T Handle but was thinking of switching to a Ball. I can't believe the price of a Hurst white 4 speed ball. $45 is crazy. Anyone know of a less expensive source for one?

When I put a 4 speed in the duster it came with a ball. Then of course I had to have the pistol grip. Now I have the t-handle with the v-gate.
I kinda miss the ball....

So far I like the factory style ball. But my cave man hands could use a lil bigger one haha!

20160710_091825.jpg

Ball, ball, ball; nothing but a ball. You can put your hand on it, under it, or on the side of it. You can plow it with your palm, or yank it like you're starting an auger motor. You install it once and it stays tight. It is nearly impossible to slip off. You can drill holes in it to mount little switches. And best of all your wife won't hurt herself when returning to her seat.....

This is 100% correct.

Most guys are faster with a ball. The T handle looks cool but doesnt fit the human hand correctly when you are relaxed.

I have a brand new Hurst T handle that came off a Ram Rod shifter i bought in 1990 or so. I tried to GIVE it away the other day. Still have it.

I think they are junk.

I like the pistol grip I have in my Duster, it's from a '71-74 B body non-console car. You don't have to wrap your hand around the whole handle every time you shift. When I pull the shifter toward me I usually just loop my index and middle fingers around the lower part of the handle right where the upper bend is at the bottom of the wood grip. When I shift away from me I use the palm of my hand on the top 1/3 of the handle. I usually don't grab the entire handle with my hand unless I'm really ripping 2nd gear.

IMG_5535_zps7c66e9f9.jpg

IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

YR where in the hell have you been for the last month!? So you're giving Parts away now for free? I posted a bunch of crap about how slow your car is and you weren't there to give me s*** back it kind of pissed me off! What are you getting old is your health failing what the hell's going on?
This is 100% correct.

Most guys are faster with a ball. The T handle looks cool but doesnt fit the human hand correctly when you are relaxed.

I have a brand new Hurst T handle that came off a Ram Rod shifter i bought in 1990 or so. I tried to GIVE it away the other day. Still have it.

I think they are junk.

Being an auto it feels a bit pointless to show a pic of mine, but the Hurst T and line lock on the front under the index finger serves my purposes well. :D

ShifterArt.jpg

My shift handle is barely 8 inches tall, so when I am gonna shift it,I really shift it. I got no time for those pokey synchros; Buh-Bam! When I hit the other side, I need that ball to be there, the same place it was last time. Or I'm going home with very sore knuckles.You only slip off the T-Handle once, to throw it away.
It is pretty though.............

-
Back