Shifter Knob Removal Situation

-

mrhp

Reaction score
Ready to remove the console. Removed knob set screw. Button and knob are interlocked. Turn to loosen and will not break free. Pull up and turn, push down and turn, same result. Feels like the button has bonded to the cable stud. Pretty sure last time it was out was when the carpet was replaced over 20 years ago. Wonder if someone used Loctite? When turning it's like winding up a high tension rubber band and I'm afraid if I force it the cable will break somewhere.

Thinking best course is to break apart the button so I can remove the knob. What is the best way to do that without damaging the knob? Drill?

Just keep spinning, the button is the nut, the noise you are hearing is the spring under it.

Alan

You can also spray some penetrating lube (NOT WD-40) into the set screw hole to help things move better.

There is no noise, only the tension of the cable twisting as I turn the knob. The button is not coming loose off the cable stud. It's not a matter of spinning it enough; it's that the knob button seems to have bonded onto the cable stud. I can force turn it almost a full turn and then when I let go it will spin back. My fear is that if I force turn it further something will break before the button starts to loosen.

You don't say what year you're working with, but, if the push button knob is metal, and you don't mind rechroming it, you could try hitting it with a torch. If it's a plastic button, it will melt, so, you'd have to replace it, but it will save having to replace the cable. Otherwise, maybe pull the shifter and console assembly out together and flip it up side down so the shifter knobs can be dunked in a bucket of penetrating oil? I think I'd just drill out the button to get down to the cable connection and get a new button. Good luck!

Thanks. It's a '70, mint original wood grain knob. I'm thinking I'll just drill a hole or so in the button to break it apart. Then I can lift off the knob and have access to the stud so I can clean off the 'remains' of the button. First I'll order a reproduction button to have in hand for when I put it back together. I'm guessing whoever put it together 20 some years ago over tightened the button so it's now 'one' with the cable stud. Definitely don't want to break the cable. Maybe on reassembly I'll put of dab of anti-seize on the stud then to be safe for the future.

Yeah, those black buttons are cheap. Drill it. Usually if someone cranked the knob tight enough to bottom out the button on the cable the shifter wouldn't work.....it wouldn't depress enough to get it out of park. Maybe some previous idiot glued it or somehow cross-threaded the thing? I guess you'll be the first to know!:lol:

Makes sense. Shifter works great. You'd think it would come loose but isn't happening. I've heard of guys breaking the cable so want to avoid that. Time to order the button and then when it comes, time to drill. Where's that portable x-ray machine?

It's the pandemic's fault. Been happy with my clouded chrome ashtray door for years until recently so I picked up a new one. What's that saying about leaving well enough alone...

It is somewhat common for the little threaded stud on the end of the cable to rust enough to seize up in the button. The novice will twist on the knob until the cable breaks. If you can lift the console enough to take the shifter apart from the bottom, you can hold the stud at lower end of the cable with vise grips and screw the paw off of it. Cable with button comes out the top.
the aftermarket does not produce this shifter cable. A length of nylon all thread will replace it.

-
Back