Shifter won't move with a rebuilt 727

-

slimjim

Reaction score
I know it's not an A body however, I've been on this forum for a few years and I've received some really good advise from many members on here so I figured I'd ask for help with my Trailduster. I have a 75 Plymouth Trailduster sport with the 440/727 combo. I recently rebuilt the transmission as it had completely lost 3rd gear. It was my first trans rebuild and I followed the books and videos throughout every step. The only exception being my 727 is a 4x4 model whereas the book and videos are all 2wd 727s. I have an aftermarket B&M shifter so it's simply the cable connection to the shift linkage. I can't get it to budge. Any ideas?

IMG_1794.JPG

I know it's not an A body however, I've been on this forum for a few years and I've received some really good advise from many members on here so I figured I'd ask for help with my Trailduster. I have a 75 Plymouth Trailduster sport with the 440/727 combo. I recently rebuilt the transmission as it had completely lost 3rd gear. It was my first trans rebuild and I followed the books and videos throughout every step. The only exception being my 727 is a 4x4 model whereas the book and videos are all 2wd 727s. I have an aftermarket B&M shifter so it's simply the cable connection to the shift linkage. I can't get it to budge. Any ideas?

View attachment 1715034940
Burned cable? Maybe disconnect the cable at the trans to verify the arm moves.

I did. The arm isn't moving. It's stuck. What could cause it to be jammed like that?

U didn't get the arm on the valve body into the parking pall. U will need to pull the pan and vb turn the drive shaft as ur sliding it in. Kim
Thank you. So as I'm inserting the valve body arm towards the parking pall I simply rotate the shaft? Then button it all back up?

you need to turn the output shaft while installing the parking paw...

One other possibility is you didn't get the shifter arm engaged into the manual valve correctly. In either case (the park pawl or manual valve) can be checked by dropping the pan

Well it was definitely the parking pawl. I dropped the pan, removed the valvebody, and reinserted the rod while spinning the driveshaft. Drove it around for a few miles and everything works great. Thank you guys for the help.

-
Back