Shipping a rear end

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I'm looking into shipping my old rear end that I pulled out of my car to someone and was wondering what other people have done. Several years back my family shipped out a rear end to someone in California I believe and we just strapped it down to a pallet, but the person who bought it made all the shipping arrangements and I think he knew the company that actually transported it, so we didn't really have any of the details. My first question is what do these things tend to weigh? It's an open diff 8.25 that's out of an F body, but it basically B body size (an inch difference or less). It doesn't have the brakes on it anymore, so I figure that's probably 10 to 20 pounds off of it, and I know that I can pick it up myself, but has anyone ever actually weighed one? I would ballpark maybe 100-150 pounds, but I really don't know how much I can lift, lol. What companies and pricing have you guys found for shipping rear ends? It seemed like just strapping it to a pallet worked well, but that's about all the more I know about shipping something this big.

As far as finding a shipping company, bug CudaChick1968. She knows a guy that she'll have you call that can hook you up. Strapping it to a pallet is the best way to ship it, and I'm not sure about the weight.

"My guy" Tyler Sheff has done a lot of work for me the last few years whenever I needed something big sent someplace. Earlier this year he went back to his first love, piloting a tour plane or something. His wife Jill took over the business. I haven't needed to ship anything personally since then, but they always specialized in items over 75 pounds.

FairPricedShipping.com
888/762-7158

The rear end he shipped for me was a narrowed Dana 60 with a Strange spool / axles. It went all the way to a FABO member in Red Deer, Alberta, and if I remember right it was a pretty killer deal (do you remember Darrell?). It got to the border in record time too; the lady at the Customs office was calling to ask about the country of origin the next afternoon. It was almost 500 pounds.

Anyway, just strapped it tightly to a decent pallet on each end and around the center chunk, and had my pal Richard shrink wrap it in case of bad weather in between. I never heard anything adverse from Darrell, so I guess he was happy with the deal and it got there in one piece.

Here are some pictures on how I prepared a B Body Dana 60 for shipment. This was on the advice by a guy I know that builds custom axles and ships them all of the time. Sorry the pictures are kinda weird. My camera was freaking out that day.

The guys at the depot when I dropped it off were impressed with the attachment.

I purchased a Dana 60 years ago from Dynatrac, they shipped in, for lack of a better word, a coffin......

My Strange 60 was shipped very similar to Tom's 60 above. Strapped to a pallet, and had cardboard around the sides and top, but you could use packing wrap just as easy. Most shippers want you to have a loading dock at both ends so that they can roll it on and off the trucks. We had to lift my 60 off of the truck, it wasn't fun.

img1280967058366.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the ideas, that should be handy if I do end up having to strap it down and send it out. I'll check with that one company that was mentioned. I know it's always going to be different based on how far you're shipping something, but what were you all paying to ship a rear end across a few states?

Strap it down to a skid(some refer to as pallets)..and ship it that way i see atleast 2 or 3 a week come through the warehouse(Fed-Ex that is..

I know your close to KC where is the rear going or coming from?

Possibly shipping it from here up north to Wisconsin. I was telling the guy interested that I thought the last one we shipped was in the $150 price range, but really wasn't sure because I think the guy that bought the old one knew the shipping company or something and may have been getting a good deal from them.

Possibly shipping it from here up north to Wisconsin. I was telling the guy interested that I thought the last one we shipped was in the $150 price range, but really wasn't sure because I think the guy that bought the old one knew the shipping company or something and may have been getting a good deal from them.

That's why you call a broker, like the lady CudaChick suggested. She has accounts with tons of shippers, and she can find you the best deals, at closer to her cost.

Yeah, I just checked it out and it gave me as estimate of around $150. Was going to look at the UPS and FedEx and such, but I'm not sure what weight class, etc. it classifies as. UPS said they will do a box up to 150 pounds and not consider it freight, but I think it was still pretty expensive.

They'll ship a box up to 150 pounds, but check the length/width/height limits. I don't think it'll fit in a box and be under 150 pounds, and even if it is, I don't think it will fit within the box size limitations.

http://www.speedeedelivery.com/ Thats what I thought. I shipped one from here (Iowa) to Illinois and it cost me $50. All I had to do was take it to the terminal they weighed it. I paid for it. And 2 days later the kid had it. He is also a member here. These guys are cheap and only serve the Midwest. Weight on the 8 1/4 was 135lbs complete drum to drum. I know they serve some parts of Missouri.

-
Back