shipping crankshafts

-

schwinger

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
need info on shipping a crankshaft, should i custom make a little crate for it or put it in a heavy duty box bubble raped up to hell and back? really cautious on shipping something like that due to the main and rod journels getting nicked or worse.

need info on shipping a crankshaft, should i custom make a little crate for it or put it in a heavy duty box bubble raped up to hell and back? really cautious on shipping something like that due to the main and rod journels getting nicked or worse.

I would crate it just so the package won't tear causing them to drop it.

bb or small block? weight plays a key factor here..
If sb take some card board & roll the crank in it, fold the ends down & tape the he77 out of it -- then find a very sturdy box & ship--- bb-- is much heavier. I have seen 390 ford cranks sent in a sturdy card board container with no problem.

distance is also a factor the fartehr it goes the better the packing. Lawrence

My new Scat crank showed up Friday. It was wrapped in paper, inside a sturdy cardboard box, and that box was inside a bigger cardboard box.

I can't give you specifics but the "one you need to please" is the shipping company. As a radio amateur, my friends and I over the years have been involved with disputes with just about all shippers. If UPS drops the damn thing 8' off a loading dock and the crank breaks in half, you need to have it packaged so the shipper cannot say "improper packaging" and deny the insurance.

Double boxing, IE padding in one box "as if you were shipping it", then putting that box in a larger padded box works pretty well for most stuff I've had shipped.

alrighty! and its a sb 273 forged crank vdart. i just wanted to get an idea on shipping something like that but i'll go ahead and wrap pack the hell out of it and box it up pretty good!

-
Back