Shipping heads

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I have to ship a set of magnum heads from Red Deer, AB to Winnipeg, MB. The heads were rebuilt and have low hours on them. What is the best way to package them for shipping? The shipper wants them in a box. I’m worried about the weight so the box has to be sturdy. At this point I might try to sell them locally just to save me the hassle of shipping them.

You may want to package them individually as if they are together they may be a bit heavy and also may damage each other if you don't isolate them well with plenty of packing or a board to separate them...

Here's what i did . i went to Canadian Tire and got a plastic storage rubber maid box wrapped the heads in towels put them in the container snapped the cover on then i bored some small holes through the cover and lip of the container then put zip ties through the holes in 4 or 5 places and shipped them , i used Day and Ross they were the cheapest and i also shipped another set Canada post .

If you have a local machine shop stop in and see if the have any of the heavy cardboard boxes that heads get shipping to them in….shipping cost in Canada lately is scary….

Here's what i did . i went to Canadian Tire and got a plastic storage rubber maid box wrapped the heads in towels put them in the container snapped the cover on then i bored some small holes through the cover and lip of the container then put zip ties through the holes in 4 or 5 places and shipped them , i used Day and Ross they were the cheapest and i also shipped another set Canada post .
Do you know if the container arrived without any damage to it?

I have to ship a set of magnum heads from Red Deer, AB to Winnipeg, MB. The heads were rebuilt and have low hours on them. What is the best way to package them for shipping? The shipper wants them in a box. I’m worried about the weight so the box has to be sturdy. At this point I might try to sell them locally just to save me the hassle of shipping them.

This is why if I advertise something I post two prices. The second one being discounted as I Dont have to box it up safely. And it saves me two trips to the shipper one to get a quote and one to send it. I can only imagine what you guys pay for shipping as ours is crazy in the United States

The way I do it. Get a large cardboard box. Break it all the way down (tear it apart at the seam) and lay it on the floor. Stick the head on it about 6" away from one edge. Now, fold that 6" up against the head. Now grab the head and roll it up as tight as you can in the cardboard and tape it tightly so it doesn't "unwind". Now fold each end over and tape hell out of it. This gives you several thicknesses of cardboard for good protection and the minimum size possible.

Get some heavy cardboard boxes and pack them separately if possible with extra cardboard for dunnage inside each one. Pack as tightly as possible and make sure you label them on every side.
I work for a transportation company and I have seen so many poorly packaged items it's ridiculous.
As RustyRatRod stated, you can use oversized boxes and cut them down as needed. I have shipped 2 sets of bucket seats in the last year or so in old refrigerator boxes. Both made it across the country unscathed.
Excellent advice in post #4 as well. I did something similar with a radiator that I shipped earlier this year.

Don't pull a Rockauto packaging job and throw it in a large box wrapped in bubble wrap like they did with my flywheel. :rolleyes:

I shipped two .920 heads via UPS. I wrapped both in plastic then rolled them up in a Harbor Freight blanket wrapped up in Gorilla Tape. I then used two of those yellow lid containers basicly doubling them up. You get them at Costco. put a layer of popcorn on the bottom of the container, placed the the heads in the container And filled it with popcorn. After placing the lid and snapping it shut I secured the lid using HD wire plastic ties. My engine guy got the and the package was undisturbed. Cost me $95.00 from Phoenix, AZ to Yakima, WA.

You definitely have to charge for crating an item now I don't really charge that much for boxing but when I have to Crate the numbers go up

Do u know anyone at Canadian tire in Red Deer? The cam truck it to another store very cheaply. Guy could pick it up there. Kim
Do u know anyone at Canadian tire in Red Deer? The cam truck it to another store very cheaply. Guy could pick it up there. Kim
Unfortunately, no. Wow, that would be a nice perk!

This is why if I advertise something I post two prices. The second one being discounted as I Dont have to box it up safely. And it saves me two trips to the shipper one to get a quote and one to send it. I can only imagine what you guys pay for shipping as ours is crazy in the United States
It’s costs an arm and leg to ship things; nothing like the good old days. In 1980 I shipped a pair of mustang bucket seats from Mayo, Yukon to Calgary, Alberta for about $20. I’ve signed up to NetParcel. I haven’t tried them yet but they advertise cheaper rates by finding shippers without full loads. The one quote was about 2/3 the normal rate for Canpar.

The way I do it. Get a large cardboard box. Break it all the way down (tear it apart at the seam) and lay it on the floor. Stick the head on it about 6" away from one edge. Now, fold that 6" up against the head. Now grab the head and roll it up as tight as you can in the cardboard and tape it tightly so it doesn't "unwind". Now fold each end over and tape hell out of it. This gives you several thicknesses of cardboard for good protection and the minimum size possible.
The heads still have the roller rocker arms and studs attached. I was going to remove the arms and leave the studs attached if I find a sturdy enough box or go the Rubbermaid container route.

IMG_9699.jpeg

The heads still have the roller rocker arms and studs attached. I was going to remove the arms and leave the studs attached if I find a sturdy enough box or go the Rubbermaid container route.

View attachment 1716115054
Doesn't matter. It'll still work just like I described. You'll have at least three layers of cardboard over all of it if you follow my deestruckshuns.

-
Back