Shipping Order Number vs Sequence number vs VIN

-

DartManPlum340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is the Shipping Order Number also called the sequence number? If I plug in my 1965 Dart 270 VIN into this well known decoder, it tells me the sequence number is 678096, which is part of the VIN. http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/CGI-BIN/62-65MoparVINDecoder.cgi
The IBM card tells me the shipping order number is 42934489 and it calls the VIN the serial number. It's confusing me.
Also, I can't find an online fender tag decoder for 1965, is there one around? Oops, nevermind, I found one here: 1965 Dodge Body Plate Data
Thanks,
Rick

Dart270VINdoor tag.jpg

Dart270IBM&Decode.jpg

Dart270FenderTag.jpg

Dart270-1965.jpg

look on rad support driver side facing up. It should have same SO number on it. Mine is like 0001 of (eg. 040100001) April 1 right on rad suppoer and on fender tag, I was told it was either the first car off the line of April 1 (suspected) or it was the first ordered somewhere and the production date is an afterthought. VIN was portion of rad support stamp
..."SO NUMBER” The Shipping Order or Sequence Order Number is the estimated day and order the car was scheduled to come down the assembly line. It consists of a three character number followed by a six digit number. The first three will be a letter/number combination or all three will be numbers. This will give the approximate build date of the car...

VIN was portion of rad support stamp
So, this 1965 Dart has basically the same format as my 1970 340 Swinger. The last 6 digits of the VIN are on the trunk lip, rad core support, etc. with the additional date code as a prefix? Thank you so much pishta! I know you are right! :thumbsup:

So, this 1965 Dart has basically the same format as my 1970 340 Swinger. The last 6 digits of the VIN are on the trunk lip, rad core support, etc. with the additional date code as a prefix? Thank you so much pishta! I know you are right! :thumbsup:
Nope, the VIN is nowhere on a '65 body except for the VIN tag on the A pillar. The shipping number is what you see on the body and fender tag. The only other places you will find both is on the broadcast sheet, window sticker, and IBM card.

Nope, the VIN is nowhere on a '65 body except for the VIN tag on the A pillar. The shipping number is what you see on the body and fender tag. The only other places you will find both is on the broadcast sheet, window sticker, and IBM card.
Thanks for the reply. So, the next time I run out to the property it's stored at, I should expect the rad core # to be 42934489 from the IBM card in my original post?

-
Back