Shock opinion

-

Yote

Reaction score
Re: '72 demon
Po had rear shocks with coil over. bottom of shock is attached to tab welded onto slapper bars. Coils miss fuel tank flange by approximately 1/8 inch. Do fabo members think I should remove coils? Being that close doesn't look good to me. Car was raced so I assume that it worked for po.
Yote

What shocks and are these real coil overs or somelike a Sensatrac with a helper spring? If the latter, remove and see if you like it.

Take the slapper bars off ASAP so people will stop laughing at you for having them on a Mopar.

Take the slapper bars off ASAP so people will stop laughing at you for having them on a Mopar.

Only ignorant ones who have no understanding of how they work on a semi-elliptical rear suspension. The world is full of fools. Who cares what they think?

Helper springs/shocks, put the weight on the crossmember where its not intended to be. Ive seen slappers with the shock mounts and I'm sure the oem plates with the shock mount are long gone if thats the style your referring to. usually Its a band aid to cover weak leafs.

Shocks are Gabriel red Ryder, coil appears to be add on. Pulled coils off. Car lowered 3/4" . Right spring has mild s shape. Think I am due for full rear suspension rebuild. ( front also) .
This car is going to make me drink (and I already drink). Comments welcome.
Yote

I would assess what you have and do the necessary items first ( safety) and go from there. If there is anything that I can answer for you about our product lines please me know.

Thank
James

Planning is everything:What are your intentions with the Demon? The slapper bars should be removed (for sure!)and sold to a Chevy guy then you will have green backs to buy some good shocks. If your intent is to have a resto rod, a new set of leafs and Monroe shocks is a good start.Don't forget to change out the shackle bushings! Above all don't put "loadleveller shocks " (shocks with coils wrapped around them) on it because that is a crutch-it puts stress on the shock plate studs. You will need the correct lower spring plates with the shock studs on them IF someone previosly removed them when they put the slapper bars on.

Oh yeah. one other thing:although dated,if you can.get a hold of an old Mopar Performance Chassis book-there is a wealth of info in there on that sort of thing!

Thanks guys. And jbc426, it's refreshing to hear from someone like you who doesn't try to put someone down , no matter how ignorant they may be on a given subject. If others want to talk to me about subjects I am familiar with I may make them look like fools. By the way, I have complete new rear suspension ordered, (springs , shocks and shake kit. ( PST ).
Yote

Pulled coils off. Car lowered 3/4" . his car is going to make me drink (and I already drink). Comments welcome.
Yeah that is a lot.....at least you found out why they were there. Do you want comments on the springs or on the drinking? LOL

Thanks guys. And jbc426, it's refreshing to hear from someone like you who doesn't try to put someone down , no matter how ignorant they may be on a given subject. If others want to talk to me about subjects I am familiar with I may make them look like fools. By the way, I have complete new rear suspension ordered, (springs , shocks and shake kit. ( PST ).
Yote

Not putting anyone down. Sorry if you got that impression. Slapper bars are not needed on Mopar cars because of the engineering that went into the rear suspension. You did not install them anyway. I've sent a few sets to the scrap yard myself, from PO installing them on cars I bought. Sounds like you are on the right track now.

Pics of the axle? It sounds like you need shocks,springs and maybe shock plates to start. I used super stock springs and KYB shocks on mine and I'm happy with it. IF someone is running SS springs on their car what rear shock did you run since the std shock is a bit too short?

-
Back