Shock recommendation?

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for shock recommendations for my 1971 Plymouth scamp. Car currently has a 360 magnum, 8.75 rear end and slant 6 torsion bars. Car will primarily be used for street driving and the occasional pass down the 1/4 mile. I’m looking to put a lot of miles on this car as I’d like to drive it frequently. I won’t be doing any autocross or canyon carving with this car. Hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

IMG_6527.jpeg

Following.

I was working on my Duster today and found my Monroe shock had a busted weld at the top. No complaints on the way they drove or the ride, but I like you am going to a more performance oriented shock. Mostly street driven but some strip use. I'm sure we'll get some good advice here.

How much money do you want to spend? For most people the KYB on a street car works fine. Some prefer the more expensive Bilstiens.

since you're not looking for anything performance, a set of gabriel or monroe's would probably be fine. sachs makes some decent OE style replacements too, and they aren't very expensive.

kyb's have fallen out of favor in that the quality has gone down, and they ride so rough.

the problem is that basically you have stock shocks that are all like 30 bucks a pop or good shocks that start at like 125 each and go up from there.

the QA1 stocker star non-adjustables are decent pieces for the price, as are the Bilstein RCD's if you want something a little better than what rock auto supplies.

How much money do you want to spend? For most people the KYB on a street car works fine. Some prefer the more expensive Bilstiens.
Not looking to spend a ton of money since it’ll be a primarily street driven car

It sounds like it comes down to how much do you want to spend? I usually recommend the Monroe Gas-matic shocks for a street driven vehicle, but after my experience above I'm going to explore other options. The KYBs are the next affordable shock but have a reputation for being harsh over bumps. Then it seems it jumps up to the Bilsteins at $125 a pop and the QA1 shocks mentioned above at $200 each.

Those along with the Competition Engineering shocks are race shocks and aren't meant for street use. I'd hate to ruin an expensive shock on the pot holes we have around here.

From above; “the QA1 stocker star non-adjustables are decent pieces for the price, as are the Bilstein RCD's if you want something a little better than what rock auto supplies.”

This have the QA1’s on all 4 corners of the wife’s Barracuda.
We like them.

-
Back