Short oil filter w/headers vs 90 Degree set up?

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Digging into the Duster to perform some preseason work. Thinking about eliminating the 90-degree oil filter set up (never able to stop seepage/drips) in favor of standard fitment shorty filter. Anyone running full length headers w/o a 90 degree setup? Doable? Pros-Cons?

72 Duster, 340, Hooker Comps.

Thanks all,
Pat

Yes I prefer not using the 90*.Not the best photo but plenty of clearance.
The photo shows a STP filter during break-in. A Wix 51516 (XP) is what I normally run.
A Wix 51085 is the short fat one. Both the 51516 and the 51085 hold the same amount of oil.
The 51516 is a narrower body and longer.

IMG_2931.jpg

That 90 is a *****. Ill be running a shorty myself. The 90 can be sealed if you chisel the old gasket out from under the plate and replace all 4 of them in the correct places. ITs still almost impossible to replace the stock filter in a narrow 65 with Hookers.

Yes I prefer not using the 90*.Not the best photo but plenty of clearance.
The photo shows a STP filter during break-in. A Wix 51516 (XP) is what I normally run.
A Wix 51085 is the short fat one. Both the 51516 and the 51085 hold the same amount of oil.
The 51516 is a narrower body and longer.

View attachment 1716075373
Thanks for the helpful response and information. Much appreciated!

Thanks again

I use the black Mopar 090 oil filter on everything... My duster my ram my power wagon wife's Durango.... Get um at Walmart cheaper...

If you use a 90 degree adapter, the trick to getting them to seal is use a big copper washer between the bolt head and the adapter body. That dang fiber washer gives up over time and it starts to leak. The copper washers that I use are 3/4 ID x 1 1/8 OD. You will need to hone the ID just a tad to get it to fit the bolt.
A5D2A025-FC6E-43E0-8D96-16B7C7DD01B8.jpeg

I won't run one of those 90* restrictive pos things unless absolutely necessary.

Give me a straight shot adapter and shorty filter every time.

We've used cheap Jegs or Summit brand (can't remember), Hedman and Doug D453 headers on our cars. Never had to use a 90 degree adapater and we use the Mopar 090 oil filter.

If you use a 90 degree adapter, the trick to getting them to seal is use a big copper washer between the bolt head and the adapter body. That dang fiber washer gives up over time and it starts to leak. The copper washers that I use are 3/4 ID x 1 1/8 OD. You will need to hone the ID just a tad to get it to fit the bolt.
View attachment 1716075583

oil filter adapter kit.jpg
Yep!

-
Back