Short Shaft Slip Yoke 727's in Old Airport Tugs?

-

PROSTOCKTOM

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend tonight and he was telling me a story I wonder about. He claims that years ago he got some short 727's that had slip yokes, not bolt on yokes used in the tugs at airports that tow the planes around.

I've personally never heard or seen one. What say you all?

Tom

I was talking with a friend tonight and he was telling me a story I wonder about. He claims that years ago he got some short 727's that had slip yokes, not bolt on yokes used in the tugs at airports that tow the planes around.

I've personally never heard or seen one. What say you all?

Tom
Wouldn't surprise me at all.

After all, Chrysler did put a Hemi on an Air Raid siren

Our Ferry Corp bought about a dozen "retired" ones to move baggage carts back and forth from the ferry to the terminal.
I don't think any 2 were the same, "like a box of chocolates", everytime you lifted the hood, you never knew what power/trans/diff.
They were geared to "tug", - top speed, high gear maybe 10 mph, no suspension !

i've seen short tail 727's in four wheel drive applications that have divorce mounted transfer cases. also in some RV's

like SC said, anything is possible on them tugs!

I saw one come up on ebay several years ago. It has a Chrysler 331 Hemi in it, so they did have Chrysler power for sure. Seen them with slant sixes too. So the transmission story wouldn't surprise me one bit, especially since those things are short and stubby.

i've seen short tail 727's in four wheel drive applications that have divorce mounted transfer cases. also in some RV's

like SC said, anything is possible on them tugs!

Those always have a yoke that bolts on to the tailshaft with a bolt, not a slip yoke like a regular car transmission has.

I guess I can always buy an A&A kit if I really want a short transmission, but I think those delete the governor. Then you have to manually shift gears.

The tugs would have had a governor and would have auto shifted. Thus my desire to see if they actually made them with a slip yoke.

Tom

Those always have a yoke that bolts on to the tailshaft with a bolt, not a slip yoke like a regular car transmission has.

I guess I can always buy an A&A kit if I really want a short transmission.

Tom
yeah a lot of them are flange mounts. the slip yoke are out there, but seem to be quite a bit less common.

if you're in the market, there's one on offer up out here.

I guess I can always buy an A&A kit if I really want a short transmission, but I think those delete the governor. Then you have to manually shift gears.
It also deletes the parking gear, so you are then relying on a parking brake system to hold the car.

Years ago I bought 3 slant 6 727 transmissions at an auction. I was told that they came out of baggage tugs at the airport, they all 3 had short input yokes in them, and they use 1350 u joints. I still have at least one of them somewhere in my parts storage.

The tugs would have had a governor and would have auto shifted. Thus my desire to see if they actually made them with a slip yoke.

Tom
Would these be the same transmissions used in The Little Red Wagon Wheel standers??

Mark Worman of Graveyard cars built one packing a bed mounted Hemi.

yeah a lot of them are flange mounts. the slip yoke are out there, but seem to be quite a bit less common.

if you're in the market, there's one on offer up out here.
I've never seen a short one with a slip yoke, but that means nothing, since I know I've seen a tiny fraction compared to some of these guys on here. Have you ever seen one? I've seen two styles of shorty 727s. One with the parking brake drum and the bolt on yoke and one without the parking brake drum and the bolt on yoke, but I've not seen a shorty with a slip yoke.

Tom, would something similar to this work if all you can find is the bolt on yoke?

There's one for sale right up the road

Screenshot_20240514_082622_Facebook.jpg

The trams at Worlds Of Fun in Kansas City had propane-fueled Slant 6's with short 727's. A buddy that knows what he's talking about (dart4door) has seen them. I don't know what kinds of yokes they used.

When I was at R&R Salvage right before they closed, they had a dumpster full of 8 3/4 housings with the ends cut off. All the ends and axles were still there, in the pile. I asked about it and he said that they pulled all the pumpkins and sold them to amusement parks, because the pumpkins were used to drive the roller coasters.

ETA a grainy-*** tiny picture
1715690535268.png

I've never seen a short one with a slip yoke, but that means nothing, since I know I've seen a tiny fraction compared to some of these guys on here. Have you ever seen one? I've seen two styles of shorty 727s. One with the parking brake drum and the bolt on yoke and one without the parking brake drum and the bolt on yoke, but I've not seen a shorty with a slip yoke.
in my travels i've seen a handful out in the wild. eons ago i bought a 74 W200 with a 440 that had a shorty w/ a slip yoke and a divorced NP205. the 440 and NP205 were absolutely how it left the factory, but i can't say with 100% certainty that the shorty 727 was there from the start, although it looked to be unmolested to my eye.

besides that one the others i saw were a shorty box van/ice cream truck (P200?) and late 70's van chassis motorhomes with small blocks. any of the others were loosies in parts lots/swap meets, etc.

the flange mount style is the much, much more common variety-- both with and without the p brake. i know around here the 4wd guys covet those shorty slip units (along with 46/47RH) so they don't come up often.

Years ago I bought 3 slant 6 727 transmissions at an auction. I was told that they came out of baggage tugs at the airport, they all 3 had short input yokes in them, and they use 1350 u joints. I still have at least one of them somewhere in my parts storage.

Do tell

I would be very interested in that if you still have it around.

Tom, would something similar to this work if all you can find is the bolt on yoke?

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

No, and thanks, but that's not the type of setup I am after. It has to be a factory built short tail housing with a slip yoke.

That way I can still have a governor and a parking paw on the output shaft over using the A&A kit.

Tom

Last edited:
PROSTOCKTOM, I'd have to do some serious digging to find them. I'm pretty sure I have them, but I don't remember where I saw them last.

-
Back