Shorten steering column

-

360dartgts

Reaction score
OK here's a question I've had for a long time...

I've read a bazillion times that going from a manual steering gear to a power steering gear that you need to "get a shorter steering column shaft" The shafts are actually 2 pieces that are held together with a couple of nylon pins. 1 section has a "male" end and the other piece has a "female" end so basically 1 slides into the other. Why not just slide the male end deeper into the female end? If you wanted to, drill 2 new holes and put new pins in? What am I missing here?

Been done MANY times. Been done the other way, too, but that's a lot more dicey. My disclaimer is to say that I did NOT recommend it nor have I ever done it...

These columns were designed this way to absorb shock and hopefully keep the steering column shaft from piercing your heart during a collision. If you want to cut down your safety margin feel free. Besides, while using your method will get the column to the right length it won't do squat for the difference in diameter and spline count between a manual column and a power steering column...

Grumpus has a point, if you really want to shorten the steering shaft by collapsing it you should take it apart, shorten the male end, and then reassemble. That way the column has the same amount of distance to collapse in a crash.

Then you should just be able to remove the manual steering coupler and use a power steering coupler.

As stated above , altering the shaft length is only half the battle. The coupling to steering gear spline diameters are different too.

Aw crap really!?! I just put a new kit into the manual one I have. Grrrr...

Don't throw away your manual coupler just yet. The rebuild kit will also rebuild a power steering coupler...

Nylon bolts? It just looks like glue was injected through those holes. You'll just be collapsing the column what? 4"? No big deal. The entire dash will be shoved into the back seat if that little will make a difference.

-
Back